MALIBU TH 400 noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Upon start-up on my Malibu, 350 Vortec & TH400, there is a whining sound. It will increase with rpm and sometimes decrease when the car is put in drive. I’ve taken the alternator and power steering belts completely off and the whining noise is still present. After the car is driven a while the noise will stop but it often returns just as easily.
The TH400 was gone through this summer by a reputable shop. The engine was rebuilt at the same time by me.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Upon start-up on my Malibu, 350 Vortec & TH400, there is a whining sound. It will increase with rpm and sometimes decrease when the car is put in drive. I’ve taken the alternator and power steering belts completely off and the whining noise is still present. After the car is driven a while the noise will stop but it often returns just as easily.
The TH400 was gone through this summer by a reputable shop. The engine was rebuilt at the same time by me.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
You could have messed the pump up in the transmission when you installed the converter

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you checked the fan?, even with it off it's still pushing air through the cabin

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe post a video of it, does it sound like it is coming from the front of the engine?

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
It has dual electric fans. I am talking about it making the noise at ideal and while driving it. With or without the belts on.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Considering I saw a picture of a member getting ready to install an engine with the converter already bolted to the flexplate without the trans I have to ask are you sure the converter was seated all of the way on the pump?

Reactions: 1 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Considering I saw a picture of a member getting ready to install an engine with the converter already bolted to the flexplate without the trans I have to ask are you sure the converter was seated all of the way on the pump?
I saw the same thing it will take you forever to bar the motor over until the converter falls into pump lugs LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor