TH350 Governor Removal While Transmission In The Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I want to take out my governor for inspection.

2nd and 3rd gear seem to shift fine, but 1st gear to 2nd gear is kind of rough, hesitant, and "jumps" into 2nd gear.

This car sat for a year or so I was told, and I'm reading that sitting will cause a governor to stick.

I've replaced the transmission filter and replaced the vacuum canister because transmission fluid was in the hose, indicating it was failing. I've adjusted the shift points by turning the adjuster screw clockwise and counter clockwise before, and it was hard to see a difference in shifting.

I see a lot of other guys saying the crossmember needs to be removed and the transmission dropped in order to get the governor out and replaced. Seen a guy on YouTube only remove his exhaust pipe and without dropping the transmission on a'79 Corvette in 30 minutes.

My thing is, the less I need to remove, the better and easier it makes things for me.

My question is, is there any way I can remove the transmission governor from a TH350 without removing anything else to get it out and in ?

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
as far as the transmission being hesitant on the shift, jumping/flaring, the governor has nothing to do with that. your governor looks good from what i can see. the oil leaking from the vent is either from a pump gasket blown, or the transmission just worn out. if the fluid is burned then in my professional opinion, you need a rebuild. transmission fluid turns brown from heat, it just doesn't get dirty like engine oil. i hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Not sure about being parked causing the governor to stick but it can cause the friction discs to "glue" themselves to the steel ones. Only two cures I know of for that and one is to drive the vehicle for far enough, and with a goodly amount of up and downshifts involved, to get some heat into the plates and that might possibly let them release from each other, or go with Olskool and either find a reputable T-mission shop that will rebuild it, or acquire a reman from, OIDK, Summit, Rock Auto, OPGI, O'Reilly's, Car Quest, or your local indie speed shop if there is one in your area that offers them at a reasonable price, or who maybe knows someone who does t-box rebuilds.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor