TH350 Governor Removal While Transmission In The Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
I want to take out my governor for inspection.

2nd and 3rd gear seem to shift fine, but 1st gear to 2nd gear is kind of rough, hesitant, and "jumps" into 2nd gear.

This car sat for a year or so I was told, and I'm reading that sitting will cause a governor to stick.

I've replaced the transmission filter and replaced the vacuum canister because transmission fluid was in the hose, indicating it was failing. I've adjusted the shift points by turning the adjuster screw clockwise and counter clockwise before, and it was hard to see a difference in shifting.

I see a lot of other guys saying the crossmember needs to be removed and the transmission dropped in order to get the governor out and replaced. Seen a guy on YouTube only remove his exhaust pipe and without dropping the transmission on a'79 Corvette in 30 minutes.

My thing is, the less I need to remove, the better and easier it makes things for me.

My question is, is there any way I can remove the transmission governor from a TH350 without removing anything else to get it out and in ?

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
How many miles have you put on this car since it was doing this? Did you check fluid level? Was your fluid in poor condition? Did you change the fluid and filter after the car was sitting a long time?
Also, your car could have a shift kit in it. My car has one and 1 to 2 shift will bark the tires if I’m on it, and I have a stock 305.

Reactions: 1 user

2ABodies1FBody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2014
Maybe it can be done in a corvette, but I recently did on in my 79 Monte, and I had to remove the Crossmember and let the trans down some to get the governor cap out.

2ABodies1FBody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2014
Maybe it can be done in a corvette, but I recently did on in my 79 Monte, and I had to remove the Crossmember and let the trans down some to get the governor cap out.
In mine, the plastic gear was stripped out from a low fluid condition, thanks previous owner...

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
How many miles have you put on this car since it was doing this? Did you check fluid level? Was your fluid in poor condition? Did you change the fluid and filter after the car was sitting a long time?
Less than 300 miles that I have put on it since July 2021...

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Maybe my setup is different...I have plenty of room to remove the cap and pull the governor out without removing the cross member or dropping the transmission...

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Can anybody tell me why the top of the transmission would leak fluid from the top of the transmission ?

Was filling it up and heard a faint pop and gurgle sound to find some fluid leaking from the top of the transmission...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor