TH350 - how hard of a launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
How hard of a launch can a TH350 take? I've got a 350 putting out around 330HP (crank). 1800 RPM stal, going to be upgrading to 2200-2400 soon. I have a built 8.8 rear end w/ 4:10 gears. Will likely be running drag radials. Car weighs 3300 at the line. I want to launch at the max stall of the converter - possibly even neutral drop it. I know the rear end can take it, I'm just not sure if the TH350 can take it. Comments?

X2, thats askin for it. I doubt your going to hurt anything if you just foot brake it with that combo.

The transmission surly can take 330 hp, But dropping in from nuetural is just not a good thing. If you wanna launch hard go with a 3500 stall . It will surly jump out there then!

Well if your going to neutral drop it you should just forget it and just about any automatic :blam: . I have been running the same TH350 for about 8yrs now without blowing it. Using a 3500 stall now and its pulling a 1.52 best to 1.67 consistant 60 foot (NO TRANS BREAK JUST FOOT)

if you like your transmission puking parts all over the road and breaking things inside it and having it rebuilt quite often by all means, neutral drop it.

however if you're like most of us that are motorheads on a budget you may want to rethink the whole neutral drop idea. or would you rather just throw bricks of hundred dollar bills in the fireplace?

Yeah thats a really bad idea. The trans isn't going to last long at all with neutral drops. I rebuilt my th350 last year so I have seen how weak some of the parts are in them. I Would either foot brake it or upgrade the trans and get a trans brake cause if you neutral drop it your going to be going through a lot of transmissions.

Neutral dropping is bad on ANY trans. Also a 1800 stall is not much if you're looking for "hard launches" With 4.10's and a mild small block in a 3300 lb car. You won't actually get it to stall at 1800 without spinning the tires or pushing the car.
I run a 3500 converter and just foot braking on slicks it will only go to around 2300-2500 before it pushes the front tires, and yes my back brakes are good, but they are stock.
I know it's contrary to what most people do, but my car runs quickest if I leave at about 1200 rpm. This "flashes" the converter, and also dosen't use up the accelerator pump shot.

I would agree no neutral drops. I did it ONCE and blew the TC up. Split the input shaft right off it. My mechanic advised me that he had NEVER seen that before in his 25 years. Also It spewed transmission fluid all over and was basically destroyed untill the TC was changed.

neutral dropping would be counter productive in a race. you'd hit the tires so hard that they break traction, not launch. additionally the trans won't be loaded so everything not only has to move to position, but they have to build up enough friction to engage and function. with the trans loaded at X rpms and the breaks applied, everything is ready to turn.
(and everything in the world breaks at a much lower level of shock loading)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor