TH350 "Late" Shift at Wide Open Throttle (WOT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Hello everyone, so 84 SS all original (except 262 cam, eddy intake & TES Headers) with electronic carb, HEI distributor & computer. Was running good until it didn't. Transmission won't shift "correctly" at wide open throttle. Currently, RPMs shoot up to 5000 5500 at WOT before I chicken out and let go of the gas & you can feel the loss of power & the engine begging for another gear. Here is the rookie mistake I made, I started messing with the kick down cable before realizing a vacuum line had cracked behind the carb. Now, for the life of me I can't re-adjust the cable which leads me to believe something else is wrong, I have read it could be the governor except it shifts into every gear driving it normal or even at half full throttle. I also read the vacuum modulator could be the cause but I disconnected the vacuum hose to it down at the transmission and there was no trans fluid in the line which I also read is a sign of a failed manipulator but again no fluid so I am not sure that's it either. Could it be I just need to keep adjusting the kick down cable tooth by tooth? I did try the typical method of adjusting the cable i.e. adjusted with full throttle and let the cable pull out as far as it wants but then I get the opposite problem, trans won't down shift instead it will just slowly raise the RPMs at WOT. I did disconnect the cable from the carb and manually pulled it and nothing "feels" wrong good tension and cable springs back. If it matters, before messing with the kick down cable I did remember the adjustment being what looked like all the way in towards the firewall. It might also be worth mentioning when I use full throttle to adjust the cable it pulls it out a lot further. Also, when I go WOT and manually shift it into gear there is not no change, i.e. if I put it in gear at 4200ish RPM it won't shift into gear and the RPMs just keep climbing. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor