TH400 Vacuum Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I got the reading from the fitting on the manifold behind the carb. Everything else was plugged. I kinda knew there was an issue the first time I drove the car. Brakes felt hard. I already planned on getting an electric pump for the booster but I hadnt checked the vacuum with a guage at the manifold. I thought I'd find a higher number. Especially after talking to the guy at Comp Cams. Told him it was a street car with power brakes and an automatic. The guy that built the motor said to take it down the road after I square the brakes away and see how it shifts. He said I might be able to adjust the modulator.

Mine has a screw in the port. My dad had cranked the thing to the moon where it'd only upshift damned near WOT. I backed it off a couple of turns and it shifts a bit more normal.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Stock modulators are usually preset; for adjustability it has to have been changed to an aftermarket unit. For that you need a TH400 specific service manual or need to go cruising through the you Tube Videos to see if someone shows how it is done.

Curious at this point though, who dropped the cam in and did they degree it after installation? Your comment about speaking with Comp Cams suggests that they think the cam ought to deliver a decent amount of vacuum at idle so, if not, then why isn't it?

Nick

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Stock modulators are usually preset; for adjustability it has to have been changed to an aftermarket unit. For that you need a TH400 specific service manual or need to go cruising through the you Tube Videos to see if someone shows how it is done.

Curious at this point though, who dropped the cam in and did they degree it after installation? Your comment about speaking with Comp Cams suggests that they think the cam ought to deliver a decent amount of vacuum at idle so, if not, then why isn't it?

Nick
Ive known the guy that built the motor for close to 40 years. Hes a well know engine builder thats got a great reputation for building healthy motors. This is the second time hes built a motor for me. The first was a 396. I dont think he would have screwed anything up. I told him where I wanted to be as far as HP. He went over the parts list with me. I ordered everything and he assembled it all. After I got the motor back to my place, he came over and fired it up on a test stand. Ran it for at least 30 minutes. Put it in the car and he came over and timed/tuned it again.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
When he paid you a visit, did he happen to throw a vacuum gauge on the engine while it was running? Has he driven it since it was dropped into the car? My only thought about all this at this point is that a combination of parts can look great on paper but not live up to expectations when assembled.

Nick

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
When he paid you a visit, did he happen to throw a vacuum gauge on the engine while it was running? Has he driven it since it was dropped into the car? My only thought about all this at this point is that a combination of parts can look great on paper but not live up to expectations when assembled.

Nick
I just came in from the garage. Took your advice from yesterday. It was 8in at idle. Hit the throttle a few times and the numbers went up. Now Im going to hold off buying the vacuum pump.
When I put the Moser rear in I bought all new emergency brake cables. I couldnt pull the right side cable far enough to get it through the bracket that they all go into. I had the same issue with the wagon. Easy fix. Took it all apart. Got enough cable but I didnt have any 5/16 fine thread nuts to put it all together. Once I get the cable in right I'll put the brakes back together. Then I'll drop is back on the ground and take it for another ride. I also have to do some other stuff while its on the stands. One of the transmission cooler lines is leaking at the transmission. Not at the threads, in the center at the tube. Theyre SS lines. They were originally TH350 lines that I tweaked to fit the 400. Im pulling that line off tomorrow to make sure the brass fitting didnt get damaged from messing with it so many times. I also have a steel set from Inline that I used to play around with the bends. I just might stick them in since theyre more forgiving when you "adjust" them.
Its funny, when you think the majority of everythings done you wind up seeing little things that you just forgot about. LOL

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
That's how it starts. Soon he won't quite finish the bottle at the end of the night, and then before you know it he'll switch to swapping ls motors into everything he owns...

The slide begins...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Yeah, Im kinda surprised that its so low. Its only 510 lift. I know the pump with fix the booster. Just not sure what to do with that modulator. I guess I'll hook up the pump and try it up and down the block. Now Im even wondering if theres enough for the PCV off the carb. Its not looking too good. LOL
They’re ugly and most people think of them as no needed, but pick up a vacuum reserve canister out of any luxury liner car or A/C car (little plastic ball on g-bodies) and plumb it in. Used is a couple bucks if they charge you.

Last edited:

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
They’re ugly and most people think of them as no needed, but pick up a vacuum reserve canister out of any luxury liner car or A/C car (little plastic ball on g-bodies) and plumb it in. Used is a couple bucks if they charge you.
Yes and add a check valve.

The modulator with black stripe plus red stripe is specially made for low vacuum signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor