The $89 Welder From Harbor Freight

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Yeah, my Speedglas helmet is actually always dark when its turned off. When you power it on, it lightens up. So even if you forget to turn it on, your always protected.

If it were me, I would buy a quality name brand helmet. This isn't an area you need to be skimping on.

Also remember to wear long sleeves, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've given myself a sunburn because I didn't put my kevlar sleeves on.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
FE3X CLONE said:
Yeah, my Speedglas helmet is actually always dark when its turned off. When you power it on, it lightens up. So even if you forget to turn it on, your always protected.

If it were me, I would buy a quality name brand helmet. This isn't an area you need to be skimping on.

Also remember to wear long sleeves, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've given myself a sunburn because I didn't put my kevlar sleeves on.
The only problem with long sleeves is the time of year. The heat index is 106 every single afternoon lately, and frankly I really can't be outside for more than 5-10 minutes in shorts and a t shirt. Long sleeves would probably kill me from heat exhaustion. Sadly though, I have no money right now, and am pressed for time to get this done for a variety of complicated reasons I won't go into here ( unless you really want to know!). I really need to have the two patches welded in by the end of this month to remain on schedule.

SilverRiff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 14, 2010
I have an auto darkening helmet from HF, and I thought it did have the battery in it for when the panal is blocked. I have welding in the car, under it, in direct sunlight and at night, and it has always worked perfectly. It also has the adjustable sensitivity setting so if I'm out in the sunlight it doesn't autodark when I don't want it to. I think it was only about $30 bucks when I bought it about 2 years ago

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My helmet has that spec, plus another one, MADE IN CHINA, so I take that as fair warning. I put it on down my basement and it was clear then when I walked under flourescent lighting and it clicked on and off rapidly. Went from dark to clear blink blink blink. Hmmmmm.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I just bought a helmet. When I went to Harbor Freight, they had 2 models on sale for $50. One was the plain model, and it was only rated for ANSI 87. 1989, and darkened in 1/20,000 of a second. The one with the cheesy blue flame decals on it however, was rated to ANSI 87. 2003, a much newer spec, and darkened in 1/25,000 of a second. Plus, it states right on the box that it protects against UV and IR light whereas the plain one does not. So, I got the one with the cheesy decals on it. I'd rather be safer than more fashionable (if that even applies to welding helmets!).

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Bonnewagon said:
I have that helmet and the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that when you are not in the sun it goes out. I found out the hard way when welding under the fenders. No sunlight-no darkening, and you are looking at UV flash. The better helmets have a lithium battery to stay powered up when the sunlight is obscured.
I read the instructions on mine, and it says to leave it in the sun for 4 hours before using it for the first time, or if it has been sitting in storage for any length of time. It could be that the battery was not fully charged on yours and that is why it did not work properly. Mine is sitting in the sun right now, so I will see how it works tomorrow.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
See that? When all else fails, read the instructions. Ha Ha.

84cutlass454

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2010
i have one of those welders and it works very good i do recommed changing to wire they give u with it but other than that it works like a champ i have weld 2 roll cages 1 rust hole patch and 1 complete exhaust system works really good and buy a auto darkening helmet

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
I started on that welder. In my experience no one should be welding with the dinky "observers" shield that you hold with your hand. You need two hands to weld properly anyway. One to trigger and use as a base and one as a stabilizer.

Get the HF helmet with the blue flames. Its both solar and battery operated, adjustable for both overall darkness and fade speed.

As far as that welder goes it was good for making brackets, welding floors and patches, and doing exhaust. No more than that.

I upgraded to a 120v Hobart Handler 140amp and love it. Plug it in anywhere and lay a nice bead on anything up to 1/4in. Still need to get gas though damn it... Its 10x easier to lay a nice stack of dimes with gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor