The Cheap Route: Switching from a Hydraulic T/O bearing, to a External Slave Cylinder. For Olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
I put a stop in so I would not over extend the Howe .. I used an appliance foot with a nut on each side of the firewall for adjustment
I remember. We had this discussion back in '13 when you first told me about the Howe. I welded a nut to the head of a bolt and used a threaded rod that I could adjust to the firewall and it was bolted to the clutch pedal.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
2013?, I remember what I just had for breakfast, beyond that anything I remember is questionable...:cautious:

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
2013?, I remember what I just had for breakfast, beyond that anything I remember is questionable...:cautious:
Lol, I'm just the opposite. I have things in my head I wist I could forget. (For instance I'd like to forget that I know how to take apart a F-4 Phantom. That was over 35 years ago.)

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Lol, I'm just the opposite. I have things in my head I wist I could forget. (For instance I'd like to forget that I know how to take apart a F-4 Phantom. That was over 35 years ago.)
But would you be able to put it back together, with out extras left over...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
But would you be able to put it back together, with out extras left over...
Unfortunately yes. Lol,
I'm that nut-case that will turn a 20 min job into a 2 hour job because a bolt isn't in the right place.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Update: Slave cylinder working fine. Lesson learned, a stage 3 clutch and a self adjusting throwout bearing don't mix.

20180220_133510 copy.jpg
DSC_2529.JPG
DSC_2532.JPG
DSC_2533.JPG

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Just another first. I heard the squeaking every time I pressed on the clutch since October. I thought the bearing was bad. I checked it and it was fine. I would never have guessed that it was grinding away the fingers of the clutch.
I installed a stage 2 clutch and it feels feather light at the pedal in comparison to the stage 3. I also went to a regular throwout bearing.
No noise at all when engaged.
Anyone ever heard of this happening?

DSC_2525.JPG
DSC_2528.JPG
1554151321152.jpg
DSC_2538.JPG

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
I never heard of it either. But I had one and it was in one of the clutch kits I bought a few years back. Then I saw it listed in the parts stores.
It was a National part number 614083 They call it Self-Aligning. A few other companies carry these bearings too.
The bearing moves independently from the base. I installed it new and I heard a screeching at first, it was on and off. The clutch spring was real heavy, so that kind of movement made it wobble and grind into the fingers of the clutch. The killer is the bearing is fine. No signs of malfunction at all. I thought I was gonna be replacing the bearing retainer, the bearing and the pivot. They were all good. No damage at all. The pictures tell the story.
NS_614083_Fro__ra_p.jpg

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
This is what I found when I pulled the transmission back.

DSC_2455.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor