The G body shuffle.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
This is at the mock up stage. I was planning on using a poly bushing, which is what is on a long F body torque arm. I have a link to connect it to another poly bushing but there is not much room or ground clearance for this idea. I might use one bushing only. Open to ideas, this is just an idea. I have no numbers or driving experience to report back yet but I am sure side to side will be more solid than any G body with 4 control arms. Driveshaft diameter and where the front gets mounted to is still to be sorted out. The arm is very close to the floor with the suspension compressed.

We will make a 1x2 bar for a 4L80E transmission crossmember and torque arm mount to reach the frame. Again, only at mock up stage. Provision for an exhaust pipe still to be fabricated in.

There is no binding. The droop travel is limited by my brake line. I might add a limiting strap.

There is no previous 60 to compare to and do not think I will have enough room to make an adjustable the front pivot point. If it doesn't work I'll weld it some later but no room is a factor.
My rear lower control arm brackets have adjustability and so does the pinion angle.

The rear is a G body with a 12 bolt center for an F body.

Attachments

• 20231025_202151.jpg
    20231025_202151.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 20220929_082147.jpg
    20220929_082147.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
  • 20221011_161524.jpg
    20221011_161524.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Zelnak Zilla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2022
Lehigh Valley, PA
Some things to consider:

1) Torque arm length affects ant-squat - the shorter the arm the more anti-squat. If you've ever seen a GNX on sticky tires you will have seen the jacking effect of its really short torque arm. The 3rd & 4th gen F body cars have quite long torque arms and do have some squat on sticky tires. The ideal anti-squat depends on the intended use and the tires.

2) Roll center is affected by the height of the panhard bar. It's best to fabricate adjustable height mounts on both ends of the bar. Roll center height affects the effectiveness of the anti-roll bar. A stock G body has a pretty high roll center and it likes a pretty big rear anti-roll bar. Lowering the roll-center will allow the use of a smaller anti-roll bar.

3) The forward link of the torque arm should NOT be constrained fore & aft. The lower trailing arms are what will constrain the axle fore and aft. If there are two members trying to constrain the axle (in any plane) bind is introduced. With rubber bushings this MAY be acceptable but I wouldn't do it. The 3rd & 4th gen F body cars had a rubber sandwich at the front of the torque arm that allowed it to float in the fore/aft direction. The GNX design got this wrong.

4) One thing the GNX design got right is mounting the torque arm on the right/passenger side of the drive shaft. The asymmetric lift from a torque arm is better used on the right/passenger side than the left/driver side.

I love seeing someone take this project on! I've been meaning to do it for ages but never got around to it. The G body rear suspension (not to mention the front) was never a great design for handling purposes. It was designed primarily for cost and packaging considerations.

Years ago I came across an aftermarket G body torque arm on eBay. I bought it out of curiosity. It turns out it must have been a prototype from ATR (sadly gone now). It used a modified F body arm and an interesting diff girdle instead of a cast rear cover. It got same things wrong I described above. Never got around to trying it on a car. I'll probably try selling it at some point. It's probably worth more as a collectable or curiosity than a useful piece. Pix below. I have the instruction sheet that came with it somewhere. I really need to find it again. Too much stuff. Sigh...
PXL_20240113_114456195.jpg
PXL_20240113_114518659.jpg
PXL_20240113_114533120.jpg
PXL_20240113_114548437.jpg
PXL_20240113_114608101.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Some things to consider:

1) Torque arm length affects ant-squat - the shorter the arm the more anti-squat. If you've ever seen a GNX on sticky tires you will have seen the jacking effect of its really short torque arm. The 3rd & 4th gen F body cars have quite long torque arms and do have some squat on sticky tires. The ideal anti-squat depends on the intended use and the tires.

2) Roll center is affected by the height of the panhard bar. It's best to fabricate adjustable height mounts on both ends of the bar. Roll center height affects the effectiveness of the anti-roll bar. A stock G body has a pretty high roll center and it likes a pretty big rear anti-roll bar. Lowering the roll-center will allow the use of a smaller anti-roll bar.

1) Ride height and the angle of those lower control arms has a huge role here too.

2) Roll center is typically below CG, and the distance between those 2 points represents your mechanical anti-roll, i.e. the car's natural resistance to body roll. When you lower the roll center more than the CG, you increase the length of that moment arm which gives the car more leverage against the roll center and decreases mechanical anti roll. When it's inherently easier for the car to roll, you need MORE spring/bar to prevent this, not less. Having said all that, lowering the front of the car without drop spindles will have this effect. Out back? I'm not sure how roll center and CG react to a drop spring, but I do know it's very simple to correct the geometry of those lower arms.

Reactions: 1 users

Zelnak Zilla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2022
Lehigh Valley, PA
1) Ride height and the angle of those lower control arms has a huge role here too.

2) Roll center is typically below CG, and the distance between those 2 points represents your mechanical anti-roll, i.e. the car's natural resistance to body roll. When you lower the roll center more than the CG, you increase the length of that moment arm which gives the car more leverage against the roll center and decreases mechanical anti roll. When it's inherently easier for the car to roll, you need MORE spring/bar to prevent this, not less. Having said all that, lowering the front of the car without drop spindles will have this effect. Out back? I'm not sure how roll center and CG react to a drop spring, but I do know it's very simple to correct the geometry of those lower arms.

I stand corrected! It's been a while since I read Herb Adams' Chassis Engineering book. I need to dig it out and read it again.

Way back when I bought his front and rear anti-roll bars. They were monstrous - 1 5/16" front (with huge Heim joint end links) and a whopping 1 1/2" rear bar. The problem with the G body rear bars is that they are attached to the lower trailing arms, which causes major bind. I wound up using a two wheel drive Blazer rear bar with some home-made adjustable end links. Some day I should take some pics and post them.

Those Herb Adams bars are yet more old stuff collecting dust. Hi, my name is Chris and I'm a G body hoarder. The first step is acknowledging the problem...

Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I stand corrected! It's been a while since I read Herb Adams' Chassis Engineering book. I need to dig it out and read it again.

Way back when I bought his front and rear anti-roll bars. They were monstrous - 1 5/16" front (with huge Heim joint end links) and a whopping 1 1/2" rear bar. The problem with the G body rear bars is that they are attached to the lower trailing arms, which causes major bind. I wound up using a two wheel drive Blazer rear bar with some home-made adjustable end links. Some day I should take some pics and post them.

Those Herb Adams bars are yet more old stuff collecting dust. Hi, my name is Chris and I'm a G body hoarder. The first step is acknowledging the problem...
no worries Chris,that hoarding club has a lot of members..;)

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away

Also have to be carefull of not going too thick with the anti sway bars or you lose tire grip, especially on the street. Generally you use either stiff springs or stiff sway bars, not both. For example my CVPI has thinner sway bars than regular Crown Vics because the cop springs in it are much stiffer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Also have to be carefull of not going too thick with the anti sway bars or you use tire grip, especially on the street. Generally you use either stiff springs or stiff sway bars, not both. For example my CVPI has thinner sway bars than regular Crown Vics because the cop springs in it are much stiffer.

You can have both, it all depends on your objective. If you want it to handle well, you'll most definitely want both stiffer springs AND bars. If you're trying to lift the front end on a launch, maybe not so much.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
OIP.Kq1kC8MMPtYJIve5EBZ0yAHaJu
this is a decent read on spring rate/sway bar,shock theroy,pivot points etc.Mark's got a big head about himself but but the info is sound.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor