The G body shuffle.

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
I remember reading about this set up years ago.
That looks about like a 67-72 chevy halftone pickup rear suspension setup. I wondered about how that would work on my elcamino once. The '70 long bed I had, handled great for a worn out truck and road really good too.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That looks about like a 67-72 chevy halftone pickup rear suspension setup. I wondered about how that would work on my elcamino once. The '70 long bed I had, handled great for a worn out truck and road really good too.
The longer the arm, the better the ride and stability. But to adjust it you need to move the ends farther vertically.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I won’t claim to know anything about making a g-body handle but I never had any issues with good bars and stiff bushings to go fast in a straight line. Gusset the lower mount forward point and use the diagonals to connect the upper To the lower front.

Reactions: 3 users

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
I stand corrected! It's been a while since I read Herb Adams' Chassis Engineering book. I need to dig it out and read it again.

Way back when I bought his front and rear anti-roll bars. They were monstrous - 1 5/16" front (with huge Heim joint end links) and a whopping 1 1/2" rear bar. The problem with the G body rear bars is that they are attached to the lower trailing arms, which causes major bind. I wound up using a two wheel drive Blazer rear bar with some home-made adjustable end links. Some day I should take some pics and post them.

Those Herb Adams bars are yet more old stuff collecting dust. Hi, my name is Chris and I'm a G body hoarder. The first step is acknowledging the problem...
Sorry for the OT post but I too purchased those huge sway bars back in the day...installed the front with no issues but for the life of me, I couldn't get the rear bolted onto to the oem lower control arms. The bar was making contact with the bottom part of the arms where it flares up. I didn't think it was wise to relieve that area to make it fit and just ran with a stock rear. Got the bright idea that aftermarket lowers might be the hot ticket only to be disappointed that the bolt holes on the lower control arms I bought wasn't flush with the arms and I still couldn't wedge the bar between the lower control arms. Many years later I saw a picture of the rear Herb Adams sway bar installed on a G-body using Edelbrock lowers. 💡 I never got that far so I can't comment as to how it would have handled.

Ironically you mentioned using the Blazer rear sway bar as I've considered going that route since at some point in the venture I acquired a 68-72 A-body 12-bolt and there was no point in trying to make the Herb Adams one work. The H&R Parts rear sway bar is what inspired me to go in that direction since they do claim it helps with the G-body shuffle and could be applied to the A-body 12-bolt. Please comment if anyone can confirm or deny this. ...and this for your reading pleasure... https://gbodyforum.com/threads/blazer-rear-sway-bar.75437/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Zelnak Zilla

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2022
Lehigh Valley, PA
Wow, lost track of this thread...

Yep, I remember having a hard time with the Herb Adams rear bar. Later I bought the ATR 1 3/8" rear bar which I was able to bolt on but the binding was very obvious, especially since I replaced the stock trailing arms with aftermarket with spherical joints. Rubber bushings might have worked better with one of those big rear bars

Later I got the Spohn rear bar (the handling one, not the drag one). It was OK but aftermarket parts are always compromised in their design somewhere. Maybe they're better now?

Then I finally did the Blazer rear bar with custom adjustable end-link mounts I fabricated myself. Not ideal by any means but I like it better than any aftermarket bar I've seen.

For the front bar I always liked the Herb Adams but the end-links failed (heim joints don't like road salt!) so now I have a stock 1 1/4" F-41 bar on the car. One of these days I'll have to get new heim joints and put that back on.

The "truck arm" suspension was a Nascar thing back in the day. Not the best for a street car me thinks.

In Herb Adams' book, "Chassis Engineering", he talked about liking stiffer anti-roll bars and softer springs for street cars. The theory being that keeping the tires in contact with the road with the softer springs worked better. I've had stiff springs and I've had soft springs. I definitely prefer the soft spring/stiff(er) bar setup.

Oh, and a pet peeve of mine - urethane bushings in suspension joints. Not talking about end-links here, I mean in suspension articulation points. Urethane is not a bearing material. I get the idea behind it, I just don't agree. Herb Adams didn't like urethane either. That's why his front bar used heim joint end-links and rubber bushings way back in the day.

OK, enough rambling... Carry on!

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Wow, lost track of this thread...

Yep, I remember having a hard time with the Herb Adams rear bar. Later I bought the ATR 1 3/8" rear bar which I was able to bolt on but the binding was very obvious, especially since I replaced the stock trailing arms with aftermarket with spherical joints. Rubber bushings might have worked better with one of those big rear bars

Later I got the Spohn rear bar (the handling one, not the drag one). It was OK but aftermarket parts are always compromised in their design somewhere. Maybe they're better now?

Then I finally did the Blazer rear bar with custom adjustable end-link mounts I fabricated myself. Not ideal by any means but I like it better than any aftermarket bar I've seen.

For the front bar I always liked the Herb Adams but the end-links failed (heim joints don't like road salt!) so now I have a stock 1 1/4" F-41 bar on the car. One of these days I'll have to get new heim joints and put that back on.

The "truck arm" suspension was a Nascar thing back in the day. Not the best for a street car me thinks.

In Herb Adams' book, "Chassis Engineering", he talked about liking stiffer anti-roll bars and softer springs for street cars. The theory being that keeping the tires in contact with the road with the softer springs worked better. I've had stiff springs and I've had soft springs. I definitely prefer the soft spring/stiff(er) bar setup.

Oh, and a pet peeve of mine - urethane bushings in suspension joints. Not talking about end-links here, I mean in suspension articulation points. Urethane is not a bearing material. I get the idea behind it, I just don't agree. Herb Adams didn't like urethane either. That's why his front bar used heim joint end-links and rubber bushings way back in the day.

OK, enough rambling... Carry on!
The NASCAR adapted 61-72 GM C10 series truck-arms work just fine for the 'streets'. They can be crap as well (tube construction w/Poly bushings).

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor