The G body shuffle.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Trying something really different here.

I didn't have confidence in the angled upper control arms. Don't feel like they do a good job at locating the axle housing side to side. I've always felt if you push these cars side to side. They move some. Fox Mustangs have the same thing going on here. We've all seen the Mustangs into crowds and heard of the G body shuffle.

My friends Camaro has none of that going on. Feels solid side to side so I installed a panhard bar like an F body to control side movement.
Part of the package is a torque arm. With these two additions we can eliminate the 2 upper control arms.

The axle mount is an off the shelf item but the other side is totally custom. I am also going to add a bar for the mount to reach the driver's side for more support.
The torque arm will be mounted to a custom transmission crossmember that will also support my 4L80E.

Attachments

• 20230326_172404.jpg
    20230326_172404.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
  • 20231025_202131.jpg
    20231025_202131.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
  • 20231025_202137.jpg
    20231025_202137.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
  • 20231025_202146.jpg
    20231025_202146.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 63
Reactions: 6 users

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
Very nice.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Trying something really different here.

I didn't have confidence in the angled upper control arms. Don't feel like they do a good job at locating the axle housing side to side. I've always felt if you push these cars side to side. They move some. Fox Mustangs have the same thing going on here. We've all seen the Mustangs into crowds and heard of the G body shuffle.

My friends Camaro has none of that going on. Feels solid side to side so I installed a panhard bar like an F body to control side movement.
Part of the package is a torque arm. With these two additions we can eliminate the 2 upper control arms.

The axle mount is an off the shelf item but the other side is totally custom. I am also going to add a bar for the mount to reach the driver's side for more support.
The torque arm will be mounted to a custom transmission crossmember that will also support my 4L80E.
Fixed position (fore/aft) spherical bearing @ the front?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Interesting. I have no idea how that geometry will work out. How is the range of motion from loaded to unloaded with the shocks unhooked? Any binding?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Id be interested to see what the instant center looks like and how much you can play with it.

I know a number of fast F body torque arm guys have issues with the front end of the car being really wheelie happy when you get into the sub 9's especially the 8's.

What does the front of the torque arm bolt to? I know F bodies are pretty strong where it mounts, I just don't know G bodies what's strong there unless you're caged

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
That setup appears similar to the GNX rear suspension. My concern is how the trans crossmember and the frame mounts for the trans crossmember can handle the stress of preventing the rear axle from rotating. On the stock rear 4 link, the upper arms are under tension as the rear axle pulls on them while trying to rotate opposite the tire rotation.

gnx10-1.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Id be interested to see what the instant center looks like and how much you can play with it.

I know a number of fast F body torque arm guys have issues with the front end of the car being really wheelie happy when you get into the sub 9's especially the 8's.

What does the front of the torque arm bolt to? I know F bodies are pretty strong where it mounts, I just don't know G bodies what's strong there unless you're caged

My guess is the front is mounted to a cross member. But like in the other thread I can't see how it connects to the axle. Is it some sort of clamp mount like the panhard uses?

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

If he built some adjustability into it so that the pique arm can be moved vertically, then I think it can be functional. But the amount of adjustment needed to move the IC has to be substantial because of the length of the arm.

I made one of these setups in an H-body. It rode and handled well, but it was awful for traction. Fortunately it was mostly a tire smoke car.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor