The "I'm Obsessive With Lawn Tractors" Thread

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I bought the tool needed to change the tires on the rims, been working on that. Made the piece to go in the hitch of my truck so I can use that as a stable work spot and the truck as a work bench.

Just waiting on paint to dry..

20230304_143645.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
So, on that cast iron front I-beam, y'all going to try and weld it back together or go digging for a replacement?

Nick
I was originally going to weld up old, broken I-beam. But, I found an ugly used I-beam. Hopefully, the ugly I-beam goes into the hydrolysis tank tomorrow to remove the rust and old paint.

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
My wife is going to hate this forum.

Now I’m searching Craigslist for lawn tractors that need work! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
So today's work.. started with the rear tires mounted and needing the beads seated. I got the fronts done yesterday no problem. Tried the ratchet strap trick, that definitely didn't work, so brake cleaner and a lighter it was. Instantly seated..🤣

Got them all installed on the mower, greased the fronts good and anti-siezed the back, especially the keyway and key.

Managed to sell the extra like new bagger kit also, guy local wanted it so that made money back on stuff.

So from starting with two whole riding mowers of unknown condition, I am now with one in fully working order working excellent. :)

Parts list, cost total $300:
SAE 30W Oil
New Gas Tank
New Starter Solenoid
New Battery
Four new Tires
Tire Install tool

Sold bagger kit: $200 recouped.

My $100 riding mower. Got the yard done with it today, first cut of the year. :cool:

MOWER4.jpg

MOWER5.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
I have the "new" front end I-beam for my Cub Cadet 124 in the vinegar tank to remove rust and loosen old paint. Additionally, I have spindles for the same CC124 in a solution of royal purple degreaser cut with water in my repurposed crock pot. Crock pot is set to low. This set up does a great job degreasing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
On the lookout for a 'big girl tractor' if anyone knows of something that can be available, even is unadvertised.

Initial thoughts are along the lines of a Deere 455.

Want

* hydrostatic drive
* a bulletproof motor like those yanmars
* 54" or larger belly mower (60 or larger preferred)
* rear PTO and 3pt hitch capable, not sleeve hitch territory. The slightly pita cat-0 would be OK though.
* front hydraulics installed at minimum, but, small loader included preferred
* turf tires wanted, or, priced with room accounting for lack of turf tires.

Need something that doesn't need work, older so no emissions and computer crap all over it, and easy to teach the wife to operate.

I haven't been able to stand or walk much the last 3 days without assistance, and, the right arm can't handle 1 axis of movement right now either with pain. It's time to realize there's windows my butt will be KICKED by this damn disease. So. There's stuff here that needs doing, and, keeping on buying and piecing together POS derelicts is out of the question.

If we're selling the house it needs to be spruced up a bit. If we get stuck riding it out a year or two projects need finishing and it needs to be livable for our needs.

Either way, something a bit heavier duty than what's been running around here is required.

If anyone knows of something that is within about 12 or 14 hours drive (one-way) of the Georgia coast let me know. I think we're likely OK from Boston to Memphis to Houston, give or take a little distance.

Saw one in east TN but condition is rough for only 2200 hours on it, and a nice one in VA but its supposedly pending.

Nov 4, 2012
On the lookout for a 'big girl tractor' if anyone knows of something that can be available, even is unadvertised.

Initial thoughts are along the lines of a Deere 455.

Want

* hydrostatic drive
* a bulletproof motor like those yanmars
* 54" or larger belly mower (60 or larger preferred)
* rear PTO and 3pt hitch capable, not sleeve hitch territory. The slightly pita cat-0 would be OK though.
* front hydraulics installed at minimum, but, small loader included preferred
* turf tires wanted, or, priced with room accounting for lack of turf tires.

Need something that doesn't need work, older so no emissions and computer crap all over it, and easy to teach the wife to operate.

I haven't been able to stand or walk much the last 3 days without assistance, and, the right arm can't handle 1 axis of movement right now either with pain. It's time to realize there's windows my butt will be KICKED by this damn disease. So. There's stuff here that needs doing, and, keeping on buying and piecing together POS derelicts is out of the question.

If we're selling the house it needs to be spruced up a bit. If we get stuck riding it out a year or two projects need finishing and it needs to be livable for our needs.

Either way, something a bit heavier duty than what's been running around here is required.

If anyone knows of something that is within about 12 or 14 hours drive (one-way) of the Georgia coast let me know. I think we're likely OK from Boston to Memphis to Houston, give or take a little distance.

Saw one in east TN but condition is rough for only 2200 hours on it, and a nice one in VA but its supposedly pending.
2200 hours is a lot for a garden tractor, especially if it was run hard and put away wet.

If you insist on green tractors, the JD 318, 322 and 332 are right up your alley. My Cub Cadet 3000 series technically does satisfy all of your requirements but it's on the smaller end and the attachments can be rare and expensive. The older Cub Cadet Supers would be a good possibility, like a 2086 or 2182.

Personally if I ever have issues with my Cub Cadet 3000 that are beyond what I want to repair, I'm going to swap it for a Kubota BX. They are only a touch bigger but a lot more capable.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
2200 hours is a lot for a garden tractor, especially if it was run hard and put away wet.

If you insist on green tractors, the JD 318, 322 and 332 are right up your alley. My Cub Cadet 3000 series technically does satisfy all of your requirements but it's on the smaller end and the attachments can be rare and expensive. The older Cub Cadet Supers would be a good possibility, like a 2086 or 2182.

Personally if I ever have issues with my Cub Cadet 3000 that are beyond what I want to repair, I'm going to swap it for a Kubota BX. They are only a touch bigger but a lot more capable.
Well, its a tough spot to find a fit for. Its also not as much a goal of being green, but in the case of that 455, i really like the engine they used. It had a 22hp 3 cyl yanmar diesel, liquid cooled, horizontal shaft, and its not that bs rating you see when an intek is called a similar hp.

Reputation and anecdotes on those old yanmars was absurd if you keep up with them properly. At any rate I'd feel safe with a well kept version being good well into the 5,6,7000 range. I haven't had one of those 3 cyl yanmars since the late 90s, but it was a great engine.

The hydrostatic is claimed around 5,000 hour life for the 455s... do I believe it? I dunno. But I believe it's a lot higher than the average lawn tractor.

I did look at the 332s, but, as hard as a JD40 loader is to find, a original 320 (not the newer 320R stuff) loader I havent even seen in person. I'm not into the Johnny buckets or Buford buckets for the purposes and work to deal with here. Lift height and weight would be a problem. I'm most familiar with the small JD loaders, but, if I can find something else I'll be considering it on a case by case basis - exception being, of course, not spending 6 months hunting rare implements then spending tons of time working on them just due to health constraints.

The old JD40 loader at least could have the cylinders shimmed and then could reach 1200-1300 PSI buying the lifting capacity easily into the range of more than you should use. Thats newer x7 series pressures and fairly capable for what it is. Tough on the front ends, but, if you didnt constantly use it like that things worked out OK.

The more i think on it though, id be very skeptical and probably wouldn't buy something of the age with a gas engine unless there was a known source component to it all - too much questionability with the fuel usage and people not sticking ethanol free these days. There's always exceptions.

I had looked at bx-series at our prior properties some years ago, and, at the time they were a good value for what you got, especially with their aggressive financing.

One thing that is a sticking point though is weight. Even the light BX tractors outweigh say the 455 by 400 pounds before implements. Being where we are, the soils stink for weight bearing. Big difference between 900# and 1300# if it's been raining lately.

That kind of steers me towards 'the king of all garden tractors' category over a true SCUT.

Nov 4, 2012
The Kubotas are heavier but they've got wider tires to spread the weight over a bigger area to compensate. I wouldn't be deterred by any of the Kubota or Yanmar gas engines.

Another possibility is a Cub Cadet 7205. Mitsubishi diesel engine, 3 point hitch. Not common but rock solid machines. Avoid the 5000 series Cubs. They are junk.

But if you like the 455, the closest comparable tractor is going to be a BX series. I ran a BX1880 and I was surprised by how much smaller it was in person than I imagined. Also the Kubota is by far the most ergonomic of any of the mentioned machines if that matters.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor