The "I'm Obsessive With Lawn Tractors" Thread

I got the bug also,

Attachments

• 20190709_161818.jpg
    20190709_161818.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 403Olds
Great for doing driveways, especially when fitted with a blower but here, today, anyone courageous enough to try and run one outside would make a good example of a human popsicle in about 5 minutes flat! -40 with the wind chill and blowing snow. Makes a perfectly good excuse to leave the tractor in the shed, close the door, head for the garage, open the fridge and open a wobbly pop instead.

I got into the Craftsman today. Pulled the plug out, that looked fine. Drained the oil/gas mixture in the crankcase. Came out like water so it was definitely over full because saturated with gas. Blew all the oil gas mixture out of the cylinder. Spun over by hand so the Engine seems good to go.

20230204_170053.jpg

Put new oil in, new oil filter, new battery. Replaced the gas line and put gas in it, went to turn the key and had nothing. Started poking around with the multimeter and this one was obvious without prodding. Whatever this is, is toast.

20230204_170037.jpg

Main 12v from the battery goes to this before the starter. I'll look that up later. Gas tank is cracked too on the sides so I'll see if there is a replacement. So far $70 in. Brakes don't work either but that's probably an adjustment.

Was gonna say that it looked something like the old Ford Solenoids that were located on the inner fender well. Guessing here that the two spade terminals were for the push button and the one on the end facing the camera is an external ground cause it is mounted on a plastic container. Getting that new gas tank was probably very wise of you. The plastic in those tanks is about identical to what was used for portable gas cans and once they get damaged by sun or UV or they crack, they are pretty much junk. You might be able to repair the crack using the same type of adhesive that plumbers use for ABS-DWV sewer pipe but whether or not it can tolerate gas; I honestly don't know.

Nick

Yea I'll buy a new tank because it's wiser.

I was initially thinking it was a starter solenoid just because of how the circuit was setup but looked it up to be sure. When it all comes in I'll clean up the wiring contacts and put everything back together.

Got into the Craftsman a little bit more today. I fixed the burned up end of the wiring on that starter solenoid, basically cut back the wire that looked like it took some heat and recrimped on the copper end.

20230205_160630.jpg

When new parts come in I will install them and see what they do. I checked the safety switches for when you have the deck fully raised and the Brake/Clutch Pedal pushed in, they seem to work fine. The parking brake doesn't work at all, doing some reading says it's an adjustment to the lever on the right side of the rear transaxle unit. I'll see what it does.

Making progress.

20230205_160734.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Streetbu
Anybody here?😳

Deer.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor