BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I know for a fact some G bodies came with vented gas caps. Fuel sloshing out of the cap under hard accel is a very common issue. Obviously most of these cars didn't have issues bone stock, but rather once they have some real hp.
Great. Now I've got that to look forward to.... lol 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Recently bought several aftermarket locking gas caps from rock auto. They claimed to be vented but it is not vented either way. Cold it pulls a nice vacuum, hot has a lot of pressure when you remove the cap.

Without buying all of them and giving a test there is no way to know what is or isn't vented.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I think running the rollover/vent, as stated earlier, is safest bet.
20230125_143934.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think running the rollover/vent, as stated earlier, is safest bet. View attachment 214947

After reading all the posts and replies, and in conjunction with the research I’ve done, I’ve come to the same conclusion. So much so that I bought that exact same Holley vent off Amazon last night. Should be here Friday along with my Summit order, looks like I’ll be redoing the tank vent.

I’ll mount it on the front of the trunk kickup, up high and with a couple of loops in the hose to prevent fuel loss. That way it’s done properly, and it’ll never be an issue. I seem to have misplaced the original tank filler cap for reuse with the new Spectra tank, so I am still going to need one.

It just doesn’t have to be a constant venting style anymore.

• Winner

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I just checked the rollover valve by putting suction (mouth) while holding it upside down. I was just curious. Works perfectly.
Please show where you mount it specifically if you can. Thanks
Edit... I think it's supposed to be as high up as possible which isn't the easiest thing.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I just checked the rollover valve by putting suction (mouth) while holding it upside down. I was just curious. Works perfectly.
Please show where you mount it specifically if you can. Thanks
Edit... I think it's supposed to be as high up as possible which isn't the easiest thing.

No problem Tony, I plan on reworking it this weekend. I’ll do another update to document the changes and where I mount the vent. I’ve got an idea in mind, it should work pretty well I think. It’ll definitely be above the top of the tank, and that’s all that really matters.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The bottom of the 22525300 (GT172) factory cap found on many 78-up B, D, C, Y, and G-body gas cars looks like this belly up. I think early versions had a handle, but I could be wrong. Seems like I recall that vaguely for some reason. Anyway, it appears there is some sort of valve assembly inside the cap. So there's at least one valve involved. It appears there's some sort of spring-like apparatus inside, leading me to believe the way it's setup is to vent into the tank to prevent vacuum. Of course, I could be wrong. I've never taken one apart or cut into it to determine what's going on in there. It's one of those things I never thought about because I've always run the charcoal canister. So I knew it was always vented, regardless.

The way it's made with the vent holes and everything make me lean to some sort of vent path, but then again, it depends on internal construction. They may just use the same mold for the insides and simply plug the guts. Who knows?

Not sure if I have an old, dead cap laying around somewhere or not, or I'd cut into that bad boy and see what was up. Maybe use a hole saw on the top cap cover and peek inside.

1674735421825.png

Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Looks like I'm adding "tank vent" to the old to do list (will be a super easy kill I think). I believe I have a rollover vent on hand from another project that never came to fruition. I never even thought about filling the tank being a concern.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looks like I'm adding "tank vent" to the old to do list (will be a super easy kill I think). I believe I have a rollover vent on hand from another project that never came to fruition. I never even thought about filling the tank being a concern.

It definitely shouldn’t be underestimated. Many performance and drivability issues can result from improper venting for sure, to say nothing of the well known gas pump handle kickback problems with aftermarket tanks.

The addition of this rollover vent should all but eliminate both issues.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I think if you use a GM cap, plus that vent/rollover valve, I think you'll be golden.

Your car ORIGINALLY came with a 560524 cap. It was metal topped with a slight bump handle and the part number stamped on the edge of it. Problem is, you can find them new, but zowie! Close to 100 bucks USD a pop on ebay.
1674770675704.png

The latest supersession number for your car is GT195, GM p/n 22591476. Found them for like 14 bucks or so. Although there is another source that says the 22525300 without the handle will also fit. These cap numbers will get your head spinning.
1674770767073.png

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor