BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

That's just sick- incredible work!! It looks mean and elegant at the same time.

No rest for the wicked, already onto something new.

IMG_4976.jpeg

IMG_4978.jpeg

IMG_4983.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg

IMG_4985.jpeg

IMG_4987.jpeg

IMG_4988.jpeg

IMG_4989.jpeg

IMG_4990.jpeg

IMG_4991.jpeg

Building these out of metal, obviously because the one was broken and missing, but also because they typically fit terribly from the factory, and I plan on welding them directly to the quarter panels for a cleaner look. This’ll eliminate yet another unsightly seam and still actually weigh less than the originals.

The first attempt to make them out of a single piece was less than successful, so they’ll be individually cut and formed then welded together as you see above. They’re actually quite a complex little piece with multiple conflicting curves.

Stay tuned to see how these turn out…

D.

Getting this pretty much fleshed out now. It doesn’t look much different than the above pictures from before, but a lot of time was spent today dialing in the shapes, angles and gaps.

I got to put my El Cheapo English wheel to use finally, I’m not very good at it yet, but I managed to accomplish what I set out to do with it. It was the perfect tool to use to put the concave curves in both directions on the side piece.

You can see the shiny finish created by the wheel stretching the metal:

IMG_4992.jpeg

You’ll also notice the absence of magnets now, I had to tack weld it to the quarter to be able to build off it. It will ultimately have to get fully welded off the car before welding it to the quarter permanently, but I’m going to try to do the majority of the welding and grinding with it on. This’ll prevent it from moving around and distorting too much with the heat.

IMG_4994.jpeg

I elected to make a new, bigger inside side piece that fits better and will have much tighter gaps than the factory piece.

IMG_4995.jpeg

I’m using 3/16” solid round bar to create a smooth rolled finish on the edges. Can’t just leave it as a sharp sheetmetal edge. You can see it on the bottom of the inside piece through the opening here:

IMG_4993.jpeg

I’ve got the top piece already cut out, but I need to spend a little time shaping it on the English wheel first to get it to fit nicely before tacking it on.

This is going to be a slick little modification!

The first steel quarter panel extension is progressing nicely.

IMG_5006.jpeg

IMG_5007.jpeg

IMG_5009.jpeg

I’m almost to the point where I’m ready to cut it back off the quarter panel to finish welding the sheetmetal to the round stock. The bottom edge of the side piece needs a little trimming and squaring up to the quarter and the gaps will get fine tuned when they get permanently welded in, but that’s fairly minor.

IMG_5011.jpeg

IMG_5010.jpeg

IMG_5012.jpeg

IMG_5013.jpeg

IMG_5014.jpeg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor