BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Man that bumper looks perfect. Dave Kindig wants to know when you are coming back to work

Thanks very much! Although I’m sure Dave’s guy’s could accomplish finer work in a lot less time than it takes me. I’m just striving to do the best I can with what I know and have.

I'd noticed your cold air intake set up but didn't know you hand built it, Donovan, very nice! It eliminates the flimsy, afterthought, factory filler panel.

Thanks Mike.

The idea is to completely eliminate all the cheap flexible rubber panels on this car that always crack and rub on the surrounding panels. This filler panel started out as a stock one from a four door Cutlass sedan in the junkyard that I added a center piece to for behind the nose of the header panel, then fabricated some sides to frame out the grilles on each side.

IMG_4892.jpeg

IMG_4893.jpeg

IMG_4894.jpeg

The sides then provide a spot for the stainless air intake screens to attach to:

IMG_4895.jpeg

IMG_4896.jpeg

To attach the whole thing to the car, I made some mounting tabs to support the center off of the grille fasteners…

IMG_4897.jpeg

IMG_4900.jpeg

…and the screens attach underneath the header panel with some nutserts set into it.

IMG_4898.jpeg

IMG_4899.jpeg

For the other ends of the screens where they meet the fenders, more nutserts set into an inner structure of the fender extension handle the attachment there. These attachment points are easily shimmed with some thin stainless steel washers to get just the perfect alignment of the fender extensions to the header panel:

IMG_4902.jpeg

IMG_4903.jpeg

IMG_4904.jpeg

As you can see in the pictures, I’m still diligently working away at trying to get the filler work on it completed today. Cross your fingers for me that I can accomplish it, the reinstallation of the bumper won’t look right without it.

Last edited:
Thanks very much! Although I’m sure Dave’s guy’s could accomplish finer work in a lot less time than it takes me. I’m just striving to do the best I can with what I know and have.

Cross your fingers for me that I can accomplish it, the reinstallation of the bumper won’t look right without it.
Dave's guys work full time on their projects, you work a day job and still put out amazing work in your spare time, not an apples to apples comparison. I have no doubts that you'll get it done! 👍

Holiday Monday for us here today, and I’m already hard at it.

Was up before dawn this morning, 5:20 to be exact after a brutally long day in the Skunkworks yesterday. I put in just over 10 1/2 hours on the bumper filler panel but I got it done so I could shoot it today. I know it doesn’t look like much, but it’s solid, straight and 100%.

IMG_4905.jpeg

IMG_4906.jpeg

IMG_4907.jpeg

IMG_4909.jpeg

IMG_4910.jpeg

IMG_4911.jpeg

IMG_4912.jpeg

IMG_4913.jpeg

IMG_4915.jpeg

IMG_4916.jpeg

After arriving at the shop at O’ dark thirty, I proceeded to unmask the inside of the bumper and mask the outside. It’s a lovely shade of pumpkin orange, but it’s cheap tape so that’s what got the nod.

IMG_4917.jpeg

IMG_4918.jpeg

IMG_4919.jpeg

Anyone that’s sprayed truck bed liner coating out of a shutz gun knows the mess it makes and how the overspray gets everywhere. Hence fully masking off the entire outside.

After that was done, I next hung, cleaned and shot 2 coats of black epoxy primer on the filler panel and the inside of the bumper:

IMG_4920.jpeg

IMG_4921.jpeg

IMG_4922.jpeg

IMG_4923.jpeg

IMG_4924.jpeg

I’m currently waiting for the induction period for the epoxy to set (1 hour) then it’s onto shooting the liner material. I’m going to see how it looks after only one coat, as it’s ONE HOUR flash time between each coat of it, and they recommend 2-3 coats!
🥵

Couple that with the fact that I still have to mix and spray 3 coats of high build primer-surfacer on the filler panel, and I’m in for an extremely long day in the booth.

Payoff pictures to follow.

D.

Nice work as always Mr. D. You never disappoint. 👍😎

Reactions: Rktpwrd
This is an awesome build, i am itching for it to be done.

Nice work as always Mr. D. You never disappoint. 👍😎

Thank you Jack. It’s nice to have your feedback here again.

This is an awesome build, i am itching for it to be done.

Thanks very much. I obviously am as well, but I came to the realization long ago that it’s more about the journey than the destination on this one. I enjoy constantly trying to push the envelope of my skill set and what is possible with this car, all the while striving towards the vision I have in my head of what a killer, highly modified high performance G body can be.

So far I’m extremely pleased with the results.

Your diligence to the cause is......i'm at a loss of words!

Im just glad im here now to see the work you put in at real time. After the the fact most wouldnt appreciate your attention to detail!

Ok, the long weekend mad 3 day thrash is finally over, everything is back home in the Skunkworks, and I’ve had a chance to catch up on some rest.

Time to post a bunch of pictures and bring everyone up to speed.

After my last midday posting when I was waiting for stuff to dry, I next mixed up the Raptor Liner and applied one coat. I was a little surprised and dismayed to find that the liner liner material was white in the bottle, every other truck bed coating I’ve ever used has always been black.

It’s my own fault, I recall reading on the bottle that it was tintable, but never put 2 and 2 together that if it was black, it wouldn’t be tintable. Now yes, I could’ve added some black tint to it, IF I had’ve had some. Instead, I chose to topcoat the liner material with some more black epoxy primer. The additional corrosion protection isn’t going to hurt anything.

The coverage and texture one coat provided was adequate for what I wanted, so I stopped there, no sense in adding a bunch of additional layers and weight if it isn’t really warranted.

While I was waiting the required 1 hour flash time for the liner material to dry, I decided to multitask and shot the 3 coats of high build primer-surfacer on the filler panel. Thankfully it turned out great and I didn’t put any runs in it.
😅

After getting everything loaded up and back home, I had to quickly unmask the outside of the bumper before everything set up hard as concrete. Once that was done, I retired for the rest of the day and night for some much needed rest.

This morning, I went out to inspect the finished results and started to unmask the studs for reassembly. Here’s a few pictures just before the reassembly started:

IMG_4925.jpeg

IMG_4926.jpeg

IMG_4927.jpeg

Note these thin nylon washers over the bumper studs. Because the bumper reinforcement is aluminum and the bumper is steel, if the two are not separated, galvanic corrosion could occur. The nylon washers keep the two materials from coming into contact with each other. This was planned for from the beginning, so it will not affect the spacing of the bumper from the body.

IMG_4928.jpeg

Here’s the filler panel, with close-ups of the bodyworked areas so that you can see it’s seamless:

IMG_4929.jpeg

IMG_4930.jpeg

IMG_4931.jpeg

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

The air intake screens are stainless steel and do not require a coating, so they were masked off. I’ll decide later what finish to apply to them, whether I want to brush, polish or paint them.

IMG_4934.jpeg

Even the backside that nobody will see is pretty!

IMG_4935.jpeg

Ok, onto reassembly now. The first thing to go in were the new sequential LED equipped marker lights. Since this is essentially the final assembly before paint, all new stainless steel washers and hardware were used.

IMG_4936.jpeg

IMG_4937.jpeg

IMG_4938.jpeg

Next to go in was the trimmed down, cleaned up and powder coated aluminum reinforcement. Once again, all new, all stainless steel hardware was used here.

IMG_4942.jpeg

IMG_4943.jpeg

The shortened aluminum bumper shock substitutes were glass bead blasted and powder coated to match the reinforcement. Best part is, the powder coating on these was free because of a small favour I did to help out my customer when he was having issues with his air compressor while I was on holidays.

Gotta love making working relationships with your customers!

IMG_4944.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpeg

IMG_4946.jpeg

I wasn’t happy or satisfied with the exposed wires for the LED lights, so while I was at it, I de-pinned the connectors, installed split protective loom, and shrink tubed the ends. It makes for a really nice finished product, yet is still serviceable if needed by just cutting the shrink tube. It’s a lot nicer than wrapping the ends with electrical tape that always shrinks, peels and gets horribly sticky anyways.

IMG_4940.jpeg

IMG_4941.jpeg

So how about the outside? How does it look with the lights installed and fully assembled?
You be the judge:

IMG_4949.jpeg

IMG_4950.jpeg

IMG_4951.jpeg

IMG_4952.jpeg

This concludes the assembly portion, up next will be the hard part; the installation, adjustment and fitting to the car. Keep in mind that the tolerances are extremely tight, if out by even a 1/16th of an inch, it’ll be noticeable.

However it’ll also be the most rewarding, as it will complete the look of the entire front end of the car. The final reveal pictures to come once that step is completed next!

Until then, thanks for following along guys.

D.

Your diligence to the cause is......i'm at a loss of words!

Im just glad im here now to see the work you put in at real time. After the the fact most wouldnt appreciate your attention to detail!

Agreed, and thank you for the kind comments. In fact I’m already preparing myself for the comments like “oh look, all he did was paint his bumpers”.
😅

Looks awesome! I know how time consuming it is custom shortening, tucking, and painting bumpers! Though you went for much sharper lines than I did! Alo, the filler and lights look great! Looking forward to the installed photos.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor