BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Amazing. Your attention to detail, the way you find solutions and ultimately your patience are to be applauded sir.

Frame is looking ok too, lol
Appreciating the updates, I know it takes a while to post em up

Cheers

Man, that frame is a beauty. Love this. All your patches and boxing was done with 1/8"?

Hey guys.
Yes, this is still the same thread as before, I just edited the title. It was bugging me!

Man, that frame is a beauty. Love this. All your patches and boxing was done with 1/8"?

Sorry for the delay in answering your question, but yes, all patches and the boxing sections were done in 1/8" plate. It's only slightly thicker than the factory material, and will be plenty strong.
Thanks for your interest guys!
Donovan.

Hey guys, it's been a bit since I last updated, but I've been trying to spend less time at the keyboard and more time getting my hands dirty if you know what I mean...
Continuing covering the frame mods.

100_3981.JPG

With the front section of the frame pretty much complete, the focus was shifted to the rear, starting with the rear crossmember. As with the rest of the frame, all the unused holes were welded up, and the welds for the upper control arms were re-done to start.
100_3984.JPG

As you can see from this cross section pic, the factory mount is quite thin and weak. Improvements were needed here.
100_3986.JPG

A pattern of the mount was traced onto cardboard, transferred to steel, and cut out. Holes were drilled for the mounting bolt, as well as in multiple spots for plug welds to keep the two together. The bolt is there in the pic to make sure the orientation stayed correct during welding. The factory mount was roughly 1/8" thick, and the addition was another 1/8" thick, equalling a 1/4" thick mount when completed. Much stronger.
100_3987.JPG

This pic is a bit deceiving, it looks like there's a gap between the two pieces, but in reality the edges of the material were beveled to allow for good weld penetration and a nice strong weld.
100_3988.JPG

100_4132.JPG

This is a later pic with the rear suspension mocked up, but you can see the completed reinforced mounts visible in the background. Note the QA1 Lift bars in place on the diff housing. Keep in mind, this car is now on Air Ride, and when the car was aired down, I was concerned there might be some interference to the frame, especially once the control arm lengths started being adjusted for pinion angles, etc. So...
100_4133.JPG

...the top of the crossmember was notched and flanged for strength for clearance around the upper control arms in the lowered position.
100_4012.JPG

With that completed, the focus was shifted to the lower control arm mounts. The frame was stood up on edge and supported with tie straps hooked onto eye bolts I threaded into the ceiling. This gave me the perfect angle and access to work easily. A hollow section of boxed tubing was cut just slightly wider than the width of the control arm and bushing, and bolted into place. This ensured that the width didn't close up on me while all the welding was being done.
100_4015.JPG

Pieces were patterned and cut out of steel to make up the top and edge of the lower mount, and tacked in place.
100_4017.JPG

They were then burned in and dressed down.

I never much cared for the depression in the side of the mount. I know it was formed that way to create strength in it, but I wanted a cleaner look. Again, a piece was cut out, positioned, welded in, and dressed down.
100_4018.JPG

100_4019.JPG

I'm going to let the next few pics speak for themselves. All the appropriate pieces were cut out and welded in and then ground smooth.
100_4020.JPG

100_4021.JPG

100_4028.JPG

100_4030.JPG

100_4031.JPG

100_4034.JPG

100_4035.JPG

100_4037.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 08Malibu
100_4038.JPG

100_4040.JPG

100_4042.JPG

And then finally, the completed mount! Then once again, the same procedure was done on the other side.
100_4043.JPG

Even though this frame was in exceptional shape overall, it wasn't perfect. 30 years will take it's toll on just about anything. The rear body mount holes in the top of the frame were still intact, but they were getting a bit thin from corrosion for my liking. This is what they looked like.
100_4101.JPG

100_4102.JPG
100_4103.JPG

The offending areas were cut out back to solid metal, patterned, and burned in.
100_4104.JPG

100_4107.JPG

100_4108.JPG

Reactions: 08Malibu
The same procedure was completed on the driver's side.
100_4109.JPG

100_4111.JPG

100_4112.JPG

With the repairs completed, it was time once again to move on... This time it was on to making a modification for the rear air bag mounts.
Because these cars were originally equipped with coil springs on the rear, there is a protrusion in the top of the frame that's used to locate and keep the top of the spring from coming out. Ride Tech's CoolRide kit comes with upper spacers that compensate for this and provide a flat mounting location for the top of the 'bag. But as you can probably tell, I just can't leave well enough alone...

The rear air bag assembly was mocked up stock out of the box, and aired up and down thru it's travel. What I found was that that amount of travel was more than what was needed, and much more than the front's travel. It seemed to me that what was needed was to eliminate the upper spacer, and have something flat to mount the top of the 'bag to. So this is how that went...
100_4113.JPG

The exact center of the opening was determined, and Sharpie marks were made off to the sides for future use. Then the outer perimeter was marked for removal.

100_4116.JPG

100_4119.JPG

A new piece was cut, the center found, and positioned in place.
100_4121.JPG

100_4122.JPG

The previously marked centering lines were transferred onto the new piece after the welds were smoothed, allowing me to precisely locate the exact center of the air bag for mounting.
100_4125.JPG

Holes were drilled for the mounting bolts, and the airline fitting.
100_4126.JPG

At this point in time, it was time to start thinking about the transmission crossmember. I had originally purchased a G Force crossmember from Summit Racing to use with the planned T56 swap behind my 455 Olds, but as the build quality progressed on the frame, my buddy persuaded me to not use it and fabricate my own instead. The G Force unit would have needed some weird brackets to be made and would've looked out of place. I didn't mind how they designed theirs tho, so I used their general design idea, but made it my own.
100_3963.JPG
100_3964.JPG

No sections of "C" channel were the correct width for the crossmember to fit inside without a horrible taper, so some had to be fabricated from angle iron instead. They were intentionally cut to the height of the framerail, and left long for now until the proper height of the transmission tailshaft could be determined. The clamps were holding them in place for now...
100_4177.JPG

Here the frame mount portion has been trimmed down substantially, and tacked into place.
100_4176.JPG

The fit of the trans mount to the crossmember is snug, but certainly acceptable!
I decided that this would be an excellent time to incorporate the front driveshaft safety loop, an idea I've had for some time, I'm not sure why no one else has really utilized it yet. Its visible in the pic below, taken a bit later.
Iphone pictures 060.jpg

Then it was finally time to start getting together an actual rolling chassis! Front suspension...
100_4062.JPG

100_4073.JPG

100_4090.JPG

100_4098.JPG

Checking steering clearances at full lock...
100_4097.JPG

Rear suspension...
100_4130.JPG

100_4140.JPG

100_4139.JPG

Finally! A full roller!
100_4129.JPG

100_4142.JPG

100_4143.JPG

Of course, that left only one thing to do...😀
100_4155.JPG

100_4160.JPG

100_4162.JPG

100_4163.JPG

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor