The Junkyard Interchange and Rarities Thread

jfg69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 26, 2012
Can someone list the various frames and what years and models interchange for the G bodies? I have been scouting a clean frame and I'm getting conflicting info on frames; i.e: Montes are longer in the nose, as opposed to the Malibu. I want to do a frame swap on my 78 Bu, so that's the info I'm in need of.

9a pilot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2011
904 area code
jfg69 said:
Can someone list the various frames and what years and models interchange for the G bodies? I have been scouting a clean frame and I'm getting conflicting info on frames; i.e: Montes are longer in the nose, as opposed to the Malibu. I want to do a frame swap on my 78 Bu, so that's the info I'm in need of.
AFIK G frames are what make it a 'G'. As in, they are interchangable across the line. There wasn't a situation like 94-96 B cars where the caddy got its own lengthed Fleetwood version (a 'D' body).

OCS

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2012
MN
Improved Sunvisors: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Most S10/Sonoma pickups and Blazer/Bravada/Jimmy's used lighted mirrors in both sun visors which do mount into the A/G body. There are some found in upscale versions that feature slide out extentions. There is also a few that feature a 3 piece design with the primary visor w/ the slide-out extension and a secondary plastic visor that can be used to block the side window so you dont have to adjust the visors at all. These are very useful but quite hard to find.
I pulled a set from a late 90's olds aurora.
You'll need to use a ½" spacer though.
visor3.jpg

80malibuv84sp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 15, 2010
My 80 Malibu came with a factory power antenna for radio. It is missing, does any other cars have one that would interchange? Thanks.

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
80malibuv84sp said:
My 80 Malibu came with a factory power antenna for radio. It is missing, does any other cars have one that would interchange? Thanks.

I have a complete NOS Power Antenna for sale.
New Delco in the box, wiring, antenna cable, complete.
$300. obo.

Thanks,
Dave

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
FYI for small block or big block chevy swaps. If you want to use your power steering you need to swap brackets. Well instead of spending all that time pulling the pulley off and such go to the junk yard and find any year 80's model chevy truck and steal the whole pump and bracket assembly off of it. It's the correct metric threads and bracket you need!

Cost- about 10 bucks.

hotwheelsboy28

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2011
Jasper, Tennessee
A little something to modernize a gbody, the old dome lights are a bit dim, swap it with one from a late 90's or 2000+ buick olds pontiac monte carlo malibu etc. it's a simple swap and much brighter light with a modern look, simple and cheap.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
9a pilot said:
jfg69 said:
AFIK G frames are what make it a 'G'. As in, they are interchangable across the line. There wasn't a situation like 94-96 B cars where the caddy got its own lengthed Fleetwood version (a 'D' body).
The El Camino and wagons are different wheelbases, but the sedans/coupes interchange far as body mounts go, frame horns differ on some models as mentioned.

jfg69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 26, 2012
Using an 87 Monte SS frame. So far, so good. Striping it down and replacing or upgrading everything. Swapping in blazer spindles and the hollow F body bar. Most other stuff will be aftermarket.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor