The Junkyard Interchange and Rarities Thread

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Doober said:
9a pilot said:
jfg69 said:
Can someone list the various frames and what years and models interchange for the G bodies? I have been scouting a clean frame and I'm getting conflicting info on frames; i.e: Montes are longer in the nose, as opposed to the Malibu. I want to do a frame swap on my 78 Bu, so that's the info I'm in need of.
AFIK G frames are what make it a 'G'. As in, they are interchangable across the line. There wasn't a situation like 94-96 B cars where the caddy got its own lengthed Fleetwood version (a 'D' body).
The El Camino and wagons are different wheelbases, but the sedans/coupes interchange far as body mounts go, frame horns differ on some models as mentioned.

Wagons have a 108" wheel base, I measured/ verified mine as a request from Schwartz chassis as they're currently developing a G body El Camino specific chassis and they had heard wagons were longer too. The wagon rear frame rail on the driver side (IIRC) is different because we have a different tank and spare tire well back there. As far as I know only the El Camino has a different wheelbase than the other G cars.

87ttop

Master Mechanic
Jan 8, 2011
chattanooga, tn
I know that we can use the front brakes setup on 98-02 2wd only Chevy blazers can we use some off the same style truck olds ,barvada gmc envoy etc

Blues Pwr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2015
I have a 1986 442, and need a direct bolt in double hump trans. crossmember that will fit my TH2004R, so I can convert to true dual exhust, and remove the cat. and add headers.
Make, model, and years would help narrow the search.
No emissions or inspections in Fl. so no worries there.

Last edited:

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Nothing that bolts in, but you can use some 1/8" or 3/16" or u-channel to make one out of a stock 2004R crossmember, I did it with the stock crossmember in my '78.
DSC02351.jpg

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I know that we can use the front brakes setup on 98-02 2wd only Chevy blazers can we use some off the same style truck olds ,barvada gmc envoy etc
A year late, but no, 4wd/awd won't work, only 2wd.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I think all GM seats will bolt to the G-body seat tracks whether bench, bucket or 60/40. I have used bucket seats from a two dr and a 4dr mid-80s Grand Am in my 78-81 Malibu`s using four factory bench seat trackes. I have bucket seats from a 95 S10 Blazer 4dr in my 78 El Camino using the factory 78 El Camino bucket seat tracks. The S10 and the Grand Am tracks wouldnt bolt to the Malibu / El Camino floor. I all so think all pre air bag GM steering wheels will bolt on to the 78-88 Gbody.

Doug

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Im also interested in F body rear control arms will bolt in to the 78-88 G body, Also what is the benefit, better ride, stops wheel hop ?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor