The Junkyard Interchange and Rarities Thread

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Alright guys, I have found another junkyard swap. I know Jamcar mentioned using a rearview mirror from a Saturn Vue which has the compass and temp, but it doesn't have map lights.
Soooo, while browsing around today I came across a 2003 Impala which had map lights. After looking at several different cars, I snagged one. The mirror doesn't have anything fancy other than the map lights. It looks like all early-mid 2000's Impala's are the same, other than the LTZ models being equipped with Onstar.
It cost me $6.37 out the door, and looks right at home in the Cutlass. Now to figure out the wiring and whether to tie into the dome light harness.
View attachment 104681 View attachment 104682

This is the same swap I did on my Monte with T-Tops. I tied into the lighting harness up top and the lights in the mirror now come on when the doors open as well as work on the switches. The upgrade from this would be the mirror with map lights, compass and temp all in one. I've yet to find one myself but have heard theyre in Oldsmobile Aleros and even in some Lincoln vehicles as well.

Another interchange I've found useful is installing a Homelink Garage Door Opener module. I have pulled 2 from late 80's or early 90's Cadillacs. The module itself is all self contained and only needs a positive and negative feed to run. Make sure to get the harness with it! It ties in to a constant wire and programming is done with the buttons on the module once power is given. I'm looking for somewhere to mount it that's not too obvious since its always live but also that will either be hidden completely or at minimum looks like it came with the car.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 368
Reactions: 3 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Most of those mirrors are made by Gentex. A quick ebay search will find the mirror with the options that you want, fairly cheap.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Most of those mirrors are made by Gentex. A quick ebay search will find the mirror with the options that you want, fairly cheap.
Interesting..I believe mine says Donnelly on the back, but I recall seeing gentex. I'll have to check when I get home out of curiosity.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Interesting..I believe mine says Donnelly on the back, but I recall seeing gentex. I'll have to check when I get home out of curiosity.
Donnelly and Gentex both have/had contracts with GM to supply mirrors. There was another one too back in that era, can't recall now who it was. Gentex were more apt to be the ones with the OnStar guts and pricier optioned ones.

Reactions: 2 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
There are a couple of other manufacturers, but the Gentex ones seem far easier to get wiring diagrams for. I did have issues with the one I had causing a small parasitic power drain, but I just had to wire it to accessory power instead of always on power. (I think because it was designed to work with a BCM that has a keep-alive feature after the key is turned off.)

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Now, ya got me wanting one. I wonder if the circuitry for the temp probe is built in (probes usually clipped behind the grill/bumper)....

Not that I know of, no. I installed a similar set up in a C1500 and it needed the temp probe added. Theyre easily found on the GMT400 series trucks (C1500, Tahoes, Suburbans, Yukons, Escalades of the 90's) on the radiator support behind the grill. The compass portion IS built in and programmable based on your time zone, if I'm not mistaken. Temp probe has two wires that go straight to mirror and everything else is done by the mirror itself.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Best bet for ME, when I go to the J Yards, is the 2004-2006 Saturn Vue. Centex dual-display compass & temp. rear view mirror. This mirror has a larger display "window", and displays both direction & temp at the same time. Grab the mirror ( Torx screwdriver ), and about a foot of wire harness. Clip it. Now you need the temp. probe. It's behind the grille, and attached to the core support with a push clip. Remove the probe ( flat head screwdriver ), and a foot of wire harness. Clip it. You will need to make your own harness to connect the mirror to the probe. The plug on the back of the mirror has 5 wires - YELLOW = 12v switched power / BLACK = ground / GREY = temp probe / GREEN w/BLACK = temp probe. Done. The 5th wire - GREEN is not used.

Compass is inside the mirror housing. Take a short drive around the block ( circles ), and it will self-calibrate.

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: 6 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Best bet for ME, when I go to the J Yards, is the 2004-2006 Saturn Vue. Centex dual-display compass & temp. rear view mirror. This mirror has a larger display "window", and displays both direction & temp at the same time. Grab the mirror ( Torx screwdriver ), and about a foot of wire harness. Clip it. Now you need the temp. probe. It's behind the grille, and attached to the core support with a push clip. Remove the probe ( flat head screwdriver ), and a foot of wire harness. Clip it. You will need to make your own harness to connect the mirror to the probe. The plug on the back of the mirror has 5 wires - YELLOW = 12v switched power / BLACK = ground / GREY = temp probe / GREEN w/BLACK = temp probe. Done. The 5th wire - GREEN is not used.

Compass is inside the mirror housing. Take a short drive around the block ( circles ), and it will self-calibrate.
What color is the display? Know of any with that greenish blue color?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor