BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Got a little done today. Spent a good part of the morning helping a buddy with his truck getting his new van dialed in.

But here were my accomplishments.

Got the coil packs, water pump, idler, starter and some other small stuff on. Finished the crossmember bolt down. Little things but space in the garage is getting a lot better. So that’s a plus.
2C3ECAA7-E18B-45EA-8388-026575C982CD.jpeg

Then I started getting the front suspension mocked up. These UMI upper and lowers are pretty badass. Excellent fit and such nice quality. Viking hybrid coilovers look pretty badass in there.

481B64BF-E2B6-491E-99E8-25585948E6F1.jpeg

I will probably leave those stickers on the lower arms. And I hate brand stickers on my stuff. Lol

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
I have run into one problem that concerns me with the Holley mounts. Now, keeping in mind that everything lined up and bolted in with little or no fuss. Trans to crossmember, crossmember to frame, engine to frame, oil pan is absolutely perfect fit in the frame and slightly above the engine crossmember.

This however I wasn’t expecting. My coil clearance to the AC box is TIGHT. As if I wasn’t already disappointed with the AC box, due to header fitment.

7087DC82-1986-43D9-8DA0-466ED8CFBA55.jpeg

There is maybe 1/16th of an inch. With the extreme likelihood that this will flex on the mounts it’s way too close.

Gonna have to recheck the body alignment on the frame.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I have run into one problem that concerns me with the Holley mounts. Now, keeping in mind that everything lined up and bolted in with little or no fuss. Trans to crossmember, crossmember to frame, engine to frame, oil pan is absolutely perfect fit in the frame and slightly above the engine crossmember.

This however I wasn’t expecting. My coil clearance to the AC box is TIGHT. As if I wasn’t already disappointed with the AC box, due to header fitment.

View attachment 98672

There is maybe 1/16th of an inch. With the extreme likelihood that this will flex on the mounts it’s way too close.

Gonna have to recheck the body alignment on the frame.
It looks like you could just zip that tab off with a cutting wheel; it'll get you a little bit. Can you even get the bolt in?

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
It looks like you could just zip that tab off with a cutting wheel; it'll get you a little bit. Can you even get the bolt in?
I was thinking that, and that’ll probably be the solution. I don’t think I could get a bolt into it without pulling the motor.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Well... back in the garage. Worked 4 weeks straight and today was the only day of my week off that I had time to get some stuff done.

Preparing for parts to show up for the brakes I decided to start another job that sucks.

Firewall restoration.

Good bye factory AC. Not sure how I feel about this, but I’m gonna need the space under the hood.

11B3E447-D44A-459C-83CA-A28556BD1B1D.jpeg

At least turbo plumbing will fit better.

Reactions: 2 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
That's one of the things I regret doing to my Malibu sedan. I should have left the factory heater in it. The aftermarket one works but has no fresh air inlet so the windows fog up. Going to have to get creative with the next one I do because I want both the heater and a/c to work in it.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
That's one of the things I regret doing to my Malibu sedan. I should have left the factory heater in it. The aftermarket one works but has no fresh air inlet so the windows fog up. Going to have to get creative with the next one I do because I want both the heater and a/c to work in it.

Everything was saved in excellent working condition in case I decide to change it. This was more an economic decision as money to invest in a nicer log manifold is going to have to wait, Until next winter anyway, but I want to drive this coming summer. It’ll probably get a billet S480 then too.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Mike’s Montes came through with lightning fast shipping so I got my heater delete plate and hood seal plate. Had to throw them on for a good look. I had already thrown a layer of undercoating on the firewall so it’s a pretty big contrast.

Seems like a good look.

E884429A-F165-4438-BABD-3BAA4930D21C.jpeg

The delete plate is thick and heavy duty, gonna make a great place to mount stuff to. The firewall seal seems like a pretty decent foam seal, all in all a winner.

Started mocking up brakes after I got the firewall. Seems the brake lines going out of the prop valve on my car are imperial. Fun discovery. They needed only minor tweaks to fit into the wilwood adjustable prop valve. So that was a win.

A9189DC1-96BF-4231-9616-AE1FC41F9286.jpeg

Off to work for a couple days then get the line to the rear mocked up and get the rear end mostly plumbed when the rear brakes show up this week. Gonna have to get the rear center section out next week so I can get it together and in.

😁😁😁

Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Looking good Duke. Here is a pic of inspiration to keep you moving forward. Also, if you end up with a glass hood I have some Buick hood struts that I have no use for.
20181129_234146.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor