BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
He was a member on here for a short time when they built the Monte.

That car oozes awesomeness. I read a build thread (Monte Carlo forum I think), he didn’t have a decent drivetrain and it was a contender. I was really close to ordering an Art Morrison chassis when I was doing my 67 Bonneville, but battleships will only handle so well.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That car oozes awesomeness. I read a build thread (Monte Carlo forum I think), he didn’t have a decent drivetrain and it was a contender. I was really close to ordering an Art Morrison chassis when I was doing my 67 Bonneville, but battleships will only handle so well.
The only thing I don't like about the chassis other than the pricetag is that he had to run the exhaust under the rear suspension.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
I should probably stop being secretive about what I’m doing. No one in real life is really excited about my project, but I’m pretty sure some people here will be and I need to talk about it to someone. Hahaha

So phase 1 is gonna be a basic LS swap. I have a 5.3 from another project that is going to be my short term power. I have a mostly complete Holley/hooker swap system, just have a few more items to orde this week and it will all be here. The discovery of the needed body work will probably delay the swap a bit but hopefully I’ll be done this winter. It’s going to have a terminator efi system, 1 7/8” long tubes into a 3” hooker ls swap system. I’m going with a Grand National tank, Aeromotive 340lph in tank pump and an -8 supply lines. Gauges will be a Holley digital dash, does too much cool stuff not to use it. Gonna see if the 200R4 will live behind this combo for a bit, I’m not going to do anything to the 5.3 so hopefully I get the summer.

Stage 2 is a T-56 swap, it’s already in the garage waiting, just needs a refresh and a F-body tail housing :).

Stage 3 I haven’t decided yet. Leaning towards the Schwartz chassis. But it will be that or chassis upgrades, Ford 9 and coil overs all around with a stage 4 UMI setup and Vette/ Wilwood brakes.

Stage 4 will be a built 6.0 with forced induction. Probably some NOS, lots of seething anger and childhhod trust issues.

Should be good.

Reactions: 5 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Update time!

Having just finished my 2 weeks of night shift and getting back to being something other than a vampire I woke up to the delivery Santa having dropped off the next shipment of goodies!!!

I haven’t even opened up the goodies from the first shipment. So still groggy and not too confident about being awake yet I decided to inspect and read the instructions of the Holley EFI system.

938C89A5-9872-45BF-9F83-785F1B9893AE.jpeg

I really wish they were just a touch less vague in their description of the EFI systems. I knew it wasn’t a dominator ECU but I didn’t know the HP system was single wideband O2 only. :mad:

So I think it’s going back... I don’t need DBW or trans control but I don’t know if I wanna push the edge with a single wideband on the next step with the blower.

Reactions: 1 users

rancher

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2017
Blackduck, MN
Well here I go.... The build has kicked off.

I’m new to the G scene but not quite new to doing stupid things in cars. Hopefully I’ll represent something that will be enjoyable enough to read between a Hafrod and Rktpwrd thread. Lol

So the goal here is a daily driveable sleeper capable of embarrassing the best factory offerings on the road these days. It’s gonna take a while to get all the way there but that’s half the fun. I’m gonna keep a few surprises along the way to make up for my sad lack of advanced refinishing skills. Ha!

So day one started with a handful of Delco boxes from Rockauto. Because I found the car on kijiji and it had been sitting a while, fresh brakes were in order so I can drive to work with it.

So off with the old seized crusty front calipers and rotors. Rotors were probably good enough to resurface and I didn’t know they were the hub... learning things already... but what the heck. They were cheap on rockauto. So fresh slate on the stopping, they aren’t permanent but the 14” front runs wouldn’t permit the next step and finding rims that fit a 5x4 3/4” car bolt pattern aren’t as easy to find up here in the north so this will have to do for now.

Hopefully if I get the Christmas lights up early enough tomorrow I can get the rears done tomorrow.
I will be watching your progress, I am about to start the same kind of project with my 81 cutlass supreme. I would like it to be a true sleeper but will have to have a few give aways like bigger rims and tires and stance. I will post some pics as I progress, Rancher

rancher

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2017
Blackduck, MN
Well here I go.... The build has kicked off.

I’m new to the G scene but not quite new to doing stupid things in cars. Hopefully I’ll represent something that will be enjoyable enough to read between a Hafrod and Rktpwrd thread. Lol

So the goal here is a daily driveable sleeper capable of embarrassing the best factory offerings on the road these days. It’s gonna take a while to get all the way there but that’s half the fun. I’m gonna keep a few surprises along the way to make up for my sad lack of advanced refinishing skills. Ha!

So day one started with a handful of Delco boxes from Rockauto. Because I found the car on kijiji and it had been sitting a while, fresh brakes were in order so I can drive to work with it.

So off with the old seized crusty front calipers and rotors. Rotors were probably good enough to resurface and I didn’t know they were the hub... learning things already... but what the heck. They were cheap on rockauto. So fresh slate on the stopping, they aren’t permanent but the 14” front runs wouldn’t permit the next step and finding rims that fit a 5x4 3/4” car bolt pattern aren’t as easy to find up here in the north so this will have to do for now.

Hopefully if I get the Christmas lights up early enough tomorrow I can get the rears done tomorrow.
I will be watching your progress, I am about to start the same kind of project with my 81 cutlass supreme. I would like it to be a true sleeper but will have to have a few give aways like bigger rims and tires and stance. I will post some pics as I progress, Rancher

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Mini update. Bodywork is happening fast and furious. Using the Rktpwrd/ Donovan method I have turned this
F3073179-A8E7-4898-9C73-C0EE16F1656A.jpeg

Into a much more workable:
F2AD3FAE-D500-4E20-84C8-189F8FA6815F.jpeg

Still have a bit of touching up but it wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be. Must have been the excellent explanation and step by step instructions on the Olds cool thread.

Thank you Donovan. You made something I was quite worried about into a pretty low stress repair.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My absolute pleasure man. The repair looks great, and I’m glad I was able to help out vicariously through Olds Cool’s thread.
:)

Keep up the great work and don’t let the obstacles you come across get you down or stress you out. If there’s any additional help you need or anything else you think I can be of assistance with, don’t hesitate to ask. I’d be happy to help in any way I can.

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor