BUILD THREAD The Mullet Maurader, The Epic of the LS swapped Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Blame Donovan lol! He makes metalwork look so easy, but most if not all of us know it's anything but!
Duke, I'm sure one of the metal guys will chime in with good advice.

Haha. Exactly.

Gotta step outside your comfort zone to learn though. I will say that I strongly considered taking the car to a pro for the repair once I cut the panel off....

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Keep doing what you're doing....practice makes perfect as they say. Before you know it, you'll have achieved the lion share of the metal work. I'm sure Mr. Riddler will commend you on a job well done.:D

• Agree

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
My biggest problem with metalwork is moving too fast. I'm a field mechanic so I have the mentality of get it done now! Metalwork can be painfully slow to get the correct results. You look like you're kickin A though!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Meh, you got this man! Make cardboard templates and git r done!

Momma has a stocked craft room. I’m gonna steal her stuff for a change. Hahaha.

It’s the initial thought of “oh f$&#, that flange is gone!” That scared me.

Keep doing what you're doing....practice makes perfect as they say. Before you know it, you'll have achieved the lion share of the metal work. I'm sure Mr. Riddler will commend you on a job well done.:D

Chip away. Any progress is still progress.

My biggest problem with metalwork is moving too fast. I'm a field mechanic so I have the mentality of get it done now! Metalwork can be painfully slow to get the correct results. You look like you're kickin A though!

Thank you! Doing good for being new to body work. I’m oilfield well service, so slow doesn’t feel right for me either, Get a bigger hammer and smash it or a bigger pipe wrench....

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Duke, if you’re referring to the inner pinch weld flange, pretty much the only way to achieve the needed bends is with a shrinker/stretcher. And even at that, you can only bend a roughly 1” wide strip with it.
Trying to do this with a piece of flat sheet metal would be a challenge for even a seasoned fabricator, never mind a novice.

A better alternative might be to reach out to the guys here and see if someone can provide you with a decent patch panel from a donor car.
Just my $0.02...

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Come home from work a day early to find something special waiting for me. Just a couple more trans parts and the driveline is all here ready for install. Pretty excited!

Quick performance Fabbed 9”, heavy wall tubes, back brace, fills and drains and forged gm factory style ends. Hopefully it all plays nicely together. Getting a set of 3.90 gears and moser dual bolt pattern drilled 31 splines to go into a trac-loc posi. Very nice work from Quick Performance, very happy with the product.
A4779E3D-5A4E-4EAA-8FBF-68E4EBA2D902.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looks good Duke!
So what’s the difference between that tail shaft and say, the standard tail shaft on my LT1 T56? Larger internal diameter hole for the beefier main shaft?

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Looks good Duke!
So what’s the difference between that tail shaft and say, the standard tail shaft on my LT1 T56? Larger internal diameter hole for the beefier main shaft?

The mainshaft doesn’t taper for the slip yoke like the F-body 27 spline. The SSR also has all the updates of the Z06 Vette, one piece countershaft and a 32 spline output plus three piece blockers on the syncros. The F-body T56 ended in 2002 so it didn’t get all the updates, neither did the Viper T56.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor