**THEFT DETERENT*

Status
Not open for further replies.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
WHAT'S UP FOLKS??!! I am the proud new owner of an 80 El Camino ss. Just got a new motor with the works Rolling. It's all black in and out. No tags or crome railing.I love it.
Now what I would like to hear, is some of your best suggestions to keep a THIEF from stealing my ride. If anyone was hade an 80's or earlier car or truck (GM preferably) stolen, how did they do it? Let's hear what we all need to do to hold on to our stuff.Thanks.....Tim

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
there is a thread on here somewhere on this, this is what i recomend either all or a few, some cheap and some not so cheap

pager alarm
column lock
start kill
ignition kill
i also use the club just for added security since i have one that came with a car

also if you have a stereo put one of those straps from the back of the head unit, wrap it under the dash after the head unit is in and bolt it in with a existing screw location under the dash by the ash tray. i bolt my amps to 3/4" mdf board, use headless (carrage??) bolts with big washers and those lock nuts with the nylon rings in them and them bolt the board to the supports beind the back seat with heavy duty bolts.

dont park anywhere that makes it easy to be messed with

those are my theories, maybe i am paranoid lol

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
deterrent is easy, common sense goes a long way. Don't show the car off where someone wants to steal it, keep it covered or hidden away in the garage. Don't go out in it somewhere it might get stolen. Don't put fancy electronics in the interior of the car that ppl want to rip off.

The best deterrent is a main kill switch hidden somewhere in the car or trunk. I've had multiple friends with fancy alarms that they paid big money for and their cars still got broken into.

The way I figure, if someone really wants to steal it enough there's nothing you can do about it. Just keep receipts and call up the insurance company when you do major mods, sometimes they'll include some of those costs in the coverage. Insurance will be more expensive, but you'll also get more $ back if it does get stolen.

smoknum

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 20, 2007
What i have always done is make the cigarette lighter a kill switch. When the cigarette lighter is pushed in the car starts when it is in the out position the car wont start. You can also put the lighter in your pocket just to be safe

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
smoknum said:
What i have always done is make the cigarette lighter a kill switch. When the cigarette lighter is pushed in the car starts when it is in the out position the car wont start. You can also put the lighter in your pocket just to be safe

That is unique, I never heard that before.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
smoknum said:

can you explain this in more detail thats a good one

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
YEAH I heared of that one too..You can google cig lighter kill switch and they show the whole shabang. I have been wondering how effective is one of those column lock covers?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The column cuffs work the best since most thieves go that route to activate the starter and a good cuff covers the whole thing. In fact I once had some buffoons try to get my Malibu by yanking out my wiring and when the kill switch stopped them they smashed my windshield. First thing the insurance co. asked was did they smash the column? When I said they didn't the company doubted my claim.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
The Key word id Deterent!, I have the big red column lock, a nice flashy 2 way pager alarm and a assortment of firearms, leave some bullets on the seat along with a bloody knife and gloves so they'll think you are a psycho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor