This Kinda Gets Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest though, most G bodies were garbage too in their stock form. The G body's redeeming value is that it is old now, and it came with engines that were members of good families. This means they can be swapped for older engines that have good potential. Honestly though, the non turbo V6's, and 305, 267, 307, 260, 265, 301, etc. engines are pretty awful in a car this size. (The 265 is a b*st*rd Pontiac used in Buicks at the turn of the 80's, and the 267 is the same idea in a Chevy as the 260 is an Olds). Also, the rear axles that were not 8.5's suck, and all of the transmissions had a spotty reliability record in stock form, save the TH350C. Plus, the gearing was set up for highway fuel economy at the expense of all else. This is why almost none of the cars on this site have been left stock. Most have at least had their engine and rear gearing changed, and many have had either a transmission swap or have had their stock transmission reworked. Those that are still stock are usually either owned by people too broke to change it, or by people who are in the process of gathering the necessary parts to fix what GM did wrong all those years ago. Yes, some of us have G body beaters that stay stock, but most of us have a modified one as well.

It's funny and I think I've told it before but my username is actually because of the same thing this post is based on. The people I know that are not into cars would always ask why I bothered putting so much work into an old car like that, and the older car guys I know would ask why I was putting so much work into a G body, why not get a classic, a Camaro, or a Mustang. I would just reply that I am Stupid, which turned to Stoopud. They never got that it was sarcasm until they saw the car finished.

Everyone says get a mustang, camaro, charger etc until you have one then nobody cares! I have a mustang, then it turned into why don't you have a gt500,?! Someone will always have bigger, better, faster ideas then me, but I have learned to not care. Now when someone says why doesn't your car have a v8 or SS, because its different. I used to get mad, jealous, or whatever you want to call it. But just like I can't understand why my buddy put a 5.0 in a maverick and restored it, then I rode in it and fully understand. I believe each is to his/her own so be original.

I like G bodies much better than the typical Camaro, Mustang, Firebird, etc. They weigh about the same, but are far better at being cars than the sportier models. You get a useful trunk, a usable back seat, and the ability to take a road trip with more than one passenger. The body may not be as "sporty", but whatever. It's a great mix of functionality that does not exist in too many other cars. Plus, compared to a new Charger, Mustang, etc, it's a much lighter platform. Also, compared to an older musclecar, these are cheap to buy in to and cheap to buy parts for. They are still plentiful enough in junkyards that most parts are fairly easy to find. Try that with a 69 Camaro, or a Chevelle! For me, I have never been much of a brand or model snob, and instead have always derived my fun from being able to build a car on a budget. G bodies are great for this as the GM parts bin is full of stuff that interchanges and is available cheaply.

peaple think my 01 GP is slow and meaningless untill i run a 12.9x-13.0x (depending on weather and track conditons) and kick there ars in it :lol:

don't forget the diesle 350 olds engine that was preaty well unreliable to say the least :lol: my uncle had a 83 GP with one and he went through 3 engines before the warrenty went out and then he put in a stock olds 350 from a a 79 olds cutlass :?

out of the 2 cars i had non where stock the 85 might of had the 4.3 FI but the THM200C pooped out on me so i got a THM350 from a 78 El Camino and put it in. and the GP was converted to a gas engine and 8.5 rear

HighwayJunkie said:
Everyone says get a mustang, camaro, charger etc until you have one then nobody cares! I have a mustang, then it turned into why don't you have a gt500,?! Someone will always have bigger, better, faster ideas then me, but I have learned to not care. Now when someone says why doesn't your car have a v8 or SS, because its different. I used to get mad, jealous, or whatever you want to call it. But just like I can't understand why my buddy put a 5.0 in a maverick and restored it, then I rode in it and fully understand. I believe each is to his/her own so be original.

I get some of that too... I've had people tell me I should make a GN clone, and yank the v-8, some of the people saying this were GN owners! :roll:

I'm like you- to each his own... I would love to have a GN or the like, but what I have is different, and I don't want something than is going to be a belly-button car... that's why mine's what it is, it's something I want, that'll be different enough to turn heads, but also blend into a crowd(i.e. police cruisers :wink: ).

I have asked people who commented similarily on my car at shows, 'what the "classic" muscle cars have that my car doesn't' other than a few years of age'. My car has a fairly stout carburated small block with all of the crappy 80's smog and computer stuff removed, for all my engine knows the car could be a 60's.

They respond, 'well they are older and classics or antiques or rarer'. Well, in Ohio antique starts at 25 years old (I could have historic plates if I did not drive it so much), and I see more Chevelles at car shows than G's. What kills me, is the first guy I knew with a "classic" was a friend of mine with a 71 Monte in 91. The car was only 20 years old, 6 years newer than mine is now, basically the same platform, and no rarer.

The best counter I have found when people ask me why I bought an 80's car to build, is to ask them to find me a 60's car with T-tops other than a vette. 60's cars IMO are given too much of a free pass. Other than the romance of the Muscle Car era most of these cars have nothing on ours (modified v modified of course). Most had 4 drum brakes, 2 or 3 speed autos, and more wieght.

Sure they had better engines in stock form, but who cares about that? Most are modified now anyway. In current form, heads up I will put my car up against any of the old stock musclecars. Most were just 13 second cars anyway. I will not beat them all, but more than they would expect (with my T-tops out grinning the whole time).

However, I also must point out.. has anyone else noticed we treat the younger guys the same way? When was the last time one of you complimented a kid with a nice ricer or FWD or donk? We complain about how we are disrespected for being different at car shows and then we do the same to the younger guys with different taste than our own. I am not talking about the total crap big muffler/ big wheel cars (crap is crap), but some of these cars are prepared very nice with allot of hard work. Anyone who supes-up anycar, does hard work, and has a vision for their ride should get our respect even if not admiration. Everybody GOT DAT.

85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Those that are still stock are usually either owned by people too broke to change it... Yes, some of us have G body beaters that stay stock, but most of us have a modified one as well.
Hey! I take offense to that! (JK) Maybe because it's my first car, and I haven't really driven any other more powerful cars (All my family members drive FWD 4 bangers), but I am actually satisfied with my stock 305, 200-r4, 2.41? one-legger GP. It's not really fast, but it's fast enough for me...for now. And right now, it definitly looks like a POS beater. Five different colors, dented fenders, IROC wheels on the driver's side, and rusty steelies with whitewalls on the passenger side. (Anyone got any 215/65/15 tires for really cheap or free, in the Holyoke/Springfield MA area?)

Stoopud said:
Everybody GOT DAT.
*Chuckle*

People are just strange! Tri-chevies, vettes and stangs get all the attention at shows. I have 8 cars. One is a 71 torino gt conv in bright red with black top and buckets. Its one of 1613 built and only about 300 remain. One of 9 in my state and according to the marti report 1 of 1 with these colors and options. When was the last time anybody saw one in person? Its got a 351cleveland 4bbl and laser stripes too. Doesn't get much attention at shows but has won a few 2nd place trophies.
Another is a 73 caddy coupe de ville. Real nice well equipped car in white with a white vinyl top and wh*re house red leather. Consistent 3rd place winner but again most people walk past it like it isn't even there.
I have an 87 GP true survivor. All original paint, etc. Only things new are tires and battery. Real nice car. I think its in actually the best shape of all my cars, it too goes unnoticed.
My 78 el camino which is a nice driver but needs a better paint job to be in show condition gets a lot of attention on the street. People follow me to ask if I want to sell it. I don't take it to shows as I don't feel its worthy. But I do take it to an occasional cruise night where it gets completely ignored.
Funny thing is like was mentioned above when I've taken each one to work, someone will always come up to and ask if I've seen that caddy in the garage or torino or gp or elky and as soon as I say yeah its mine that's it. No one else even acknowleges it! So yeah I think jealousy has something to do with it. But funny thing is I don't flaunt them. Rather I hide them on the 4th floor of the garage where no one goes. They only see them driving in or out. Just enjoy what you have and make it what you want or can afford at the moment. Do it for you, not anyone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor