THM200 Metric transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontyCarlo85262

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2011
I posted photos of my car so feel free to look at what Im dealing with. Ive gone over the whole car. Replaced everything I could think of but still have problems. I guess just because it looks good doesnt mean it runs good. lol

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
MontyCarlo85262 said:
I posted photos of my car so feel free to look at what Im dealing with. Ive gone over the whole car. Replaced everything I could think of but still have problems. I guess just because it looks good doesnt mean it runs good. lol
Have you checked/adjusted the TV cable? Just a thought....

MontyCarlo85262

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2011
bill said:
MontyCarlo85262 said:
Have you checked/adjusted the TV cable? Just a thought....
Yes we adjusted the cable and when we did it got worse. The car almost wouldnt move. I think it could posibly be the govenor in the trans that is causing my problem. It shifts way to soon and the RPM's dont come up before it shifts

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
MontyCarlo85262 said:
No its a 262 V6 with a TBI I changed the TPS because I was told that was an issue. Also changed the O2 sensor. Checked all the vacuum hoses also. It almost acts like it has a cam in it like someone put a bigger cam in it . You know how and engine lobes with a cam. The trans shifts funny. when you slow down to make a turn and get back into the throttle it drops to first and then before you get the RPM's up it chifts all the way to 3rd and the engine chuggs like a standard trans if you skip a gear. PCV is new. all the vacuum lines are plastic with rubber connections.

Sounds to me that the TCC solenoid is bad and not only is the transmission shifting to eary but the lock up converter is engaged all the time except when stopped.
When its missing at Idle ... have you tryed disconecting 1 plug at a time to see if its a weak cylinder? or do you have a compression tester (or borrow 1)
good luck

MontyCarlo85262

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2011
Well when I took it to the GM Garage. They told me the selonoid was good but the converter was bad. They unplugged it and it shifted good, but I need to replace the converter. So about 2 wks ago we did that. But its doing the samething all over again. Compression we checked each cylinder, all had great compression. Im thinking it could be the rubber gaskets in the front and rear on the intake.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
MontyCarlo85262 said:
Well when I took it to the GM Garage. They told me the selonoid was good but the converter was bad. They unplugged it and it shifted good, but I need to replace the converter. So about 2 wks ago we did that. But its doing the samething all over again. Compression we checked each cylinder, all had great compression. Im thinking it could be the rubber gaskets in the front and rear on the intake.
check the torque on the intake bolts? carb bolts tight? Does it have stock exhaust? Good pressure out of the tail pipe? Does this engine come with the smog pump/air tube system? I only ask cause this set up can fail and the symptoms can be hard to nail down. This has got me stumped. I do know that the TC lockup/shift solenoid system is suspect having had problems myself with a 200 metric. Try manually shifting the trans and see what that does....?

MontyCarlo85262

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2011
bill said:
MontyCarlo85262 said:
check the torque on the intake bolts? carb bolts tight? Does it have stock exhaust? Good pressure out of the tail pipe? Does this engine come with the smog pump/air tube system? I only ask cause this set up can fail and the symptoms can be hard to nail down. This has got me stumped. I do know that the TC lockup/shift solenoid system is suspect having had problems myself with a 200 metric. Try manually shifting the trans and see what that does....?

I didnt think about checking the intake bolts or carb bolts. Thanks thats a good tip.Yes it has a stock exhaust. It has good pressure at the tail pipe. Yes it has a smog pump/airtube system. It seems to be working it makes a funny noise like a dry pump lol. When I manually shift it runs good but if your just driving around town it keeps jumping to the 3rd gear prematurelyin drive. Even if your driving at 10 to 20 mph.It'll shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd in a matter of seconds of each other.The rpm's drop and the engine chugges to keep going. Like a manual trans skipping gears. Is the best way I can describe it. Yes it has me stumped too.....The car only has 30,000 miles on it so it cant be to serious.... Im the second owner. The Man that had it before me was in his 70's. It was well taken care of and maintained.

bob_t442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2011
southwest florida
Re: THM200 Metric transmission (Bad rap?)

Although it doesn't sound like bill's problem with his Monte Carlo is similar to the minor issues I had with my Oldsmobiles, but thought I'd share my experiences with two different 200-4R transmissions.
My 1985 4-4-2, bought from original owner with 58,000 miles on it in 1999, would drive well until it was on the road for about 25 minutes. At that point coming to a stop the lockup converter would nearly refuse to unlock, nearly stalling the engine. I believe it was also upshifting through the gears more harshly than normal, but that was minor. After scouring the internet, I found a posting by a Monte Carlo SS owner having similar problems, who cured his problem with a new Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid. I bought myself the same part at my NAPA parts store, installed in about 35,000 miles ago, and have not had further problems with the trans.
My original owner 1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic had the same issue with the converter unlocking very late, and near the 170,000 mile mark I replaced the TCC solenoid in it also. This transmission continued to provide trouble free service until it hit 240,000 miles, then it bled out it's fluid all over, failing while my son was driving it (and probably abusing it). I pulled the trans, tore it completely apart, and only found one thrust washer showing any sort of wear on it. The cause of failure was the front pump seal. I put a rebuild kit in it, a new pump, filter, and converter, and reinstalled it in the car. It has gone another 32,000 miles (272,000 total so far) with no misbehaving.
I didn't want to believe these transmissions were reliable either, after hearing the horror stories about metric transmissions in everything from Chevettes to Ninety-Eights, but mine have yet to fail me.

MontyCarlo85262

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2011
Thanks for all the replies,but Im thinking Im just going to take it to the transmission shop and have them fix it. Im not experienced at transmissions. All this sounds to difficult for me to even get into.I will let everyone know what the problem was and what the fix was. Thanks again for all the help and imfo. I really appreciated it.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
MontyCarlo85262 said:
Thanks for all the replies,but Im thinking Im just going to take it to the transmission shop and have them fix it. Im not experienced at transmissions. All this sounds to difficult for me to even get into.I will let everyone know what the problem was and what the fix was. Thanks again for all the help and imfo. I really appreciated it.
Just a bit of freindly advice...get a few references or check with your local BBB when it comes to Trans Shops. Some of them are pure crooks and will take advantage of the lack of knowledge regarding transmissions ... so be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor