1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THM200 Metric transmission

Discussion in 'New Users' started by MontyCarlo85262, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-Body_Vet

G-Body_Vet Comic Book Super Hero

Re: THM200 Metric transmission (Bad rap?)

I actually prefer a 200-4R in a g-body compared to other OD transmissions. It just becomes a matter of the power level it can handle. I recall reading that the 200-4R was developed from the TH200 in an attempt to retain a light weight trans with OD.

On the other hand, I've changed TH200's in several cars when they decided to give. The 200-4R in my previously owned '85 SS decided it didn't want to shift to 2nd gear anymore. My '87 Aero blew the front pump seal and had a faulty TCC solenoid. I've also replaced a few 200-4R's in Cutlasses in the past.

You must be having one hell of a stroke of luck! I think people generally ditch the 200 because it can be replaced with a TH350 so easily.

And for the OP, if your expenses look like they're going to get out of hand to repair the TH200, you might really want to consider a trans change. I see good Th350's all day for less than $125. Just something to keep in mind while you're sorting out the issues.

2. MontyCarlo85262

MontyCarlo85262 Not-quite-so-new-guy

Was at the trans shop today. Got my car looked at. Well the tv cable was out of adjustment. Emproved the shifting alot!! also he thinks the tcc is going bad and will need replaced, but other then that it looks good. So I'll be taking it in to be replaced in about 3wks. While he has the trans out he will go over it to make sure everything is good. Also he told me the miss I have is a vibration He thinks it could be the clutch fan or harmonic balancer.

3. bill

bill Comic Book Super Hero

They're taken out the trans to install a new TCC? Didnt think that was necessary.....anyway...glad you got some good answers and a good shop that will take care of it for ya.

4. megaladon6

megaladon6 Comic Book Super Hero

iirc on the 200 it is normal to remove the trans, on the 200-4r it's not necessary

5. RockSS

RockSS Master Mechanic

Im not claiming to be a tranny guy but why can you drop the pan on a 200-4r and change the tcc and on a 200 you pull the whole tranny, is the tcc solenoid not in the valve body also :?

6. megaladon6

megaladon6 Comic Book Super Hero

hey, i didn't design them! GM did what GM did.

7. G-Body_Vet

G-Body_Vet Comic Book Super Hero

The 200 was designed to be dropped.....right off a cliff :rofl:

8. bill

bill Comic Book Super Hero

lol....thats a fact

9. MontyCarlo85262

MontyCarlo85262 Not-quite-so-new-guy

Yes, They have to take it out because the tcc is in the pump on a 200 metric. Also I discovered my vibration today its from a bad motor mount on the passanger side. So I'll be busy replacing those this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.