Thoughts on a LS1 complete drop in swap-any better bang for the buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I wouldn't drop that kinda money on a serpentine setup. ICT Billet, dirt dingo, Kwik Performance and GM Performance parts all offer solutions for FAR less. The truck accessories work (AC with a relocate bracket) and with holley mounts the truck intake fits under the stock hood. So you could have most of the swap parts for that money spent on the serpentine setup. If you have an EFI tank, a Walbro 255 takes a couple hours tops to install. My 2005 truck intake is a return style so regulator is not needed, you would only really need to upgrade your supply line for the fuel side and buy a couple of adapter fittings to hook up to the rails and that piece of the puzzle is complete, you can run a truck DBC throttle body which works very well. If you are good at chasing pinouts on the harness you can do it yourself and a VATS delete tune is an easy mail in to a decent tuner. I would send the harness out with the ECM to be re-pinned with the tune. Go on a site like LS1tech and research who has a good reputation.

I would look for an 04-06 5.3 or 6.0 for an express van. Should be DBC and return fuel system with the better gen 4 rods. A 2500 will also have a 4L80e. Don't even bother with a 4L60, its an easy install and is just better at a cost of only 70lbs. You won't lose power, that's complete BS. Just do it because it will last forever.

Then a set of PAC 1218 springs and craigslist 3 bolt take out cam. Just throw it in... LS6, LS9, LS7. They are all pretty damn close, lots of dyno back to back testing backs this up. They also idle very well and make great vacuum. Look for some Gen 4 truck injectors, preferably flex fuel, and you are good to 450hp. Early 5.3 had 21lb injectors so you want 6.2 or later (04-11ish) 6.0. should all be Multec 2 connectors and around 30lb/hr. (don't quote me exactly on this, but lots of data exists online to confirm)

If you get a 6.0L get any set of aluminum 5.3 truck heads, under 400whp the 243 or 799 heads wont make a difference. Reuse the head gaskets and TTY bolts. Lots of turbo guys running +14lbs of boost like this so just do it. Torque to 55lbs, put the valve covers on and drive it.

If I was gonna do a cheap NA build this is what I would do.

Reactions: 2 users

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
The LS3 seems like a great option honestly. I found a LS3 complete package with a 6 speed auto shipped for 5500, I was budgeting 1000 for trans so the engine in my mind is only 4500 of that number. I was going to attempt to keep the engine and trans under 5k total but it does seem the LS3 is quite a upgrade from the LS1 so it may be worth it. What sucks is I have a lead on a complete 98 corvette LS1 with all parts for a swap shipped for 2000 dollars, that's still 345hp and as drop in close as I can get for a g body. I am just starting to shop so I am sure I can track down a better deal on a LS3. I may start browsing insurance auctions again and find a car I can part out, I have not parted a car in a few years but have funded many projects doing that and keeping the parts I wanted.

Northernregal, that is great info and may be a option. I really do not want truck accessories, I used the truck serpentine stuff on one of my SBC and a camaro one on the other, I cringe looking at the truck setup. If build a junk yard engine, I can justify the 1800 if it makes it all fit correctly and look good. Front accessories from a F body sell for a decent chunk of change and they are used. Again, this was part of the LS1 appeal to me

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I actually surprised a stock 5.3 with a tune made that much power. Probably the terribly constipated truck air filter set up removed and better exhaust no doubt helped. I just found them so under whelming stock in trucks below 4000 rpm. Maybe this is the perfect set up for your cruise across the country goals. Just try and find a 4L70E that was never put in front of a trailer or expect problems without a rebuild. A good 2500 stall converter would also no doubt make a world of difference as well. The LS1 5.7 with the right accessories makes a lot of sense too. Good luck.
Stock, untouched, 03' LM7/4L60E, Hooker cast manifolds, dual 2.5 back to single 3" and Borla muffler dyno tuned by SNL Performance.
I
278whp/318wtq

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
That LS3 with the 6 speed would make your car into a beast. Ultra docile and supremely drivable until you beat on it. They are a decent cam away from 500 crankshaft, no BS or excuses. Big torque to make it pleasurable to cruise around at low to medium speeds and an unreal howl in the top end that makes it exciting to flog. Price be damned, that's the best all around setup there is.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
If that's a reasonably low mileage ls3 with the computer , harness & everything that goes with it, that may not be a bad price.Several other reasons I said newer ls3. For one, the 6 speed they call a tr6060 is what the aftermarket calls a magnum 6 speed. Price one of the lately? Also so many internal & external upgrades since a 2nd year ls engine, which has the perimeter bolt valve covers & I think even a 2 line return from fuel rail setup.
Long story short for example buying the outdated vette engine & getting a new magnum trans & clutch would put you OVER the price of the 6 speed LS3.
For reliability, I'd at least start out getting that ls3 installed with some hooker long tube headers & a tune as your upgrades.

Something can be said for dropping in a pretty fresh internally stock late model setup. In 2002', I got a 1999 ls1 6 speed with all accessories fans, etc, 33,000 miles, delivered to my door for $4500. Since there weren't many aftermarket install parts back then anyways, I engineered most of my install for a pretty low amount of $.
Probably only put less than 20,000 miles on it in almost 18 years. Always planned on upgrading, but never got around to. In that time period, I changed plugs & wires for the hell of it, oxygen sensors more than once, knock sensors, starter last year, & a few misc issues need checking right now.
Bottom line is my old engine if in proper tune as it sets is good for approx. 395 flywheel hp, can sit up for months & drive for a few hours straight That's what you're after , right?
My biggest expenses in 2002' to get running were having wiring harness modified, $ 500, crappy universal s&p headers, probably under $200 in misc stuff including welding & fab supplies modified ps lines, AC lines (shoulda started out with sanden & not f-body compressor) and autometer pro-comp gauges (well worth it). Already had tank modded for tpi, had shorter driveshaft that refit. Few hundred for new exhaust.
Long term payoff hard to argue with. Did go through a few clutches, replace old tpi pump, & a few other minor not direct to engine stuff. Not too bad divided out in 16 years, huh.
Do have a few items, such as custom nascar style tri-y headers & a polished cross ram dual plenum intake that I started & never finished, which would make it cool all over again.
While people can walk up to me & say, oh, another LS engine, I can say no, I was among the first , everyone else is other. Can also say it doesn't rate in the worst decisions I've made.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
I read this entire thread with great interest. I have an 09 2500 HD 2WD, 6.0 with a 6l80 that I have been wanting to sell with the idea of getting an LS1 engine and 4l80 to swap into my SS. Likely a comlete car for 2500 or so. Bottom line is no one wanted to pay my asking price on the truck so I've been casually researching swapping the truck units instead since I have a complete vehicle. From what I have gathered I will need a relocation bracket for the AC. LS swap headers and enlarge the trans tunnel and cut the driveshaft. I will clean up all of the truck components and even reuse the ugly truck intake and paint the cover. The intake was giving me fits because I was sure it would not fit and I would end up buying a new one and then matching components to make it work together. I wanted to avoid spending a ton of money on accessories or components just to make the 6.0 fit. The engine and trans work fine, but, since it is going to be out I may as well upgrade it since my plan is to keep this car a long time and make it my DD for the for seeable future. If nothing is broken I'm going to do a rebuild kit, maybe 30 over, port the heads, cam and lifters, upgrade the injectors, rails and a CAI. Rebuild the trans with a converter and shift kit and then a tune. I already have an electric fan, aluminum radiator and an electric fuel system. I'll use the trans cooler from the truck. When I'm done I hope to have about 400 to 450 HP that I can drive anywhere, anytime. I enjoy reading about all of your projects, problems you encounter and overcome. I learn something every time I come on here and benefit from YOUR experience and expertise. I am in no way a mechanic but I can fuddle my way through most tasks with a little google help and a trip to GBODY FORUM. I probably won't start my project until 2019 but I am pretty obsessed with it already.

BuickOldsPontiac

Master Mechanic
Oct 14, 2011
Sterling Heights, MI
I have an 09 2500 HD 2WD, 6.0 with a 6l80 that I have been wanting to sell with the idea of getting an LS1 engine and 4l80 to swap into my SS. Likely a complete car for 2500 or so. Bottom line is no one wanted to pay my asking price on the truck so I've been casually researching swapping the truck units instead since I have a complete vehicle. From what I have gathered I will need a relocation bracket for the AC. LS swap headers and enlarge the trans tunnel and cut the driveshaft. I will clean up all of the truck components and even reuse the ugly truck intake and paint the cover. The intake was giving me fits because I was sure it would not fit and I would end up buying a new one and then matching components to make it work together. I wanted to avoid spending a ton of money on accessories or components just to make the 6.0 fit. The engine and trans work fine, but, since it is going to be out I may as well upgrade it since my plan is to keep this car a long time and make it my DD for the for see able future. If nothing is broken I'm going to do a rebuild kit, maybe 30 over, port the heads, cam and lifters, upgrade the injectors, rails and a CAI. Rebuild the trans with a converter and shift kit and then a tune. I already have an electric fan, aluminum radiator and an electric fuel system. I'll use the trans cooler from the truck. When I'm done I hope to have about 400 to 450 HP that I can drive anywhere, anytime. I enjoy reading about all of your projects, problems you encounter and overcome. I learn something every time I come on here and benefit from YOUR experience and expertise. I am in no way a mechanic but I can fuddle my way through most tasks with a little google help and a trip to GBODY FORUM. I probably won't start my project until 2019 but I am pretty obsessed with it already.

Have you considered using the Hooker LS swap mounts from Holley? Other than the 6l80 (which you could probably sell or trade for a 4l80e), I am fairly positive that it will let you use everything you already have. There is a ton of information on their system at ls1tech.

That said, the truck accessories and intake are not that attractive looking, and if I where to ever go the LS swap route I would probably want to use a different intake and accessories.

Reactions: 1 user

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Have you considered using the Hooker LS swap mounts from Holley? Other than the 6l80 (which you could probably sell or trade for a 4l80e), I am fairly positive that it will let you use everything you already have. There is a ton of information on their system at ls1tech.

That said, the truck accessories and intake are not that attractive looking, and if I where to ever go the LS swap route I would probably want to use a different intake and accessories.
I have always been function over appearance and I have a potential drop in combination with the exception of the trans tunnel mods. I have been checking prices on a 4l80 setup and I can rebuild the 6l80 and make it fit for less than a Stage 1 4l80 and a converter.

Reactions: 1 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
For 2400, you can have 308 hp/ 350 tq brand NEW [ not rebuilt ] from GM with warranty ! You can also have several different 4 speed auto configurations NEW [not rebuilt ] with warranty ! 2900 / 3500 $ Around Christmas time and the end of the year you can usually find 100-to 500 off that price . KARL,S CHEVROLET is good place to start, scoogin,s is to . The engine is advertised as the 350/290. I think HOT ROD / OR SUPER CHEVY , did a bolt on only review and made 333 hp/ 378. tq on that engine , 350 hp would be obtainable with some tweaking. That,s pretty fun ride in a g body !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor