Thoughts on a LS1 complete drop in swap-any better bang for the buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I am doing a frame off on my regal this winter and am ready for a new engine and trans for it. It currently has a 355 chevy/TH350 in it which was the first engine I ever overhauled almost 20 years ago, It isn’t anything special and I want EFI and a 4 speed trans. In the past I would say I would go 5.3 or similar and figure out the rest as far as brackets, oil pan and whatever else I might need but we all know that building a engine costs allot with all of the little parts adding up and I simply do not have the time to relearn the ins and outs of building a LS. I currently have a pair of very built forged internal 454s I am building for my boat and do not want another engine laying around. I have been looking around and I can pick up a LS1 corvette complete drop in engine with the gas pedal, computer and harness for right around 3000 shipped with well under 100k on it. This is appealing to me mainly because it is a complete drop in and should have all of the correct accessory brackets, low profile intake, oil pan…. It would be tough to build a equal powered EFI SBC for that amount of money, I know because I have one in my 442 that I built before LS engines really caught up to being reasonably priced swaps. Is there any downfalls here?? Better LS based engine for similar cash?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The Corvette oil pan (batwing) is not what you want. You'll have to swap pans. The low mount A/C compressor will need to relocated up high with an aftermarket bracket. Not sure how the Corvette manifolds will work. Looking at their shape, I don't think they will clear. Otherwise, I agree that the rest of the Corvette front accessory drive and the Corvette intake will fit the chassis well.

Reactions: 4 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
You are going to need:
1. A different oil pan
2. New headers or Hooker LS swap manifolds
3. Relocate AC compressor or notch frame to have it low mount
4. Engine mounts
5. Transmission crossmember
6. Fuel tank with fuel pump/sending unit
7. Harness rework to delete un-needed emission and setup for relays

Even at $3K for a beginning you will have another $3K in ancillary parts easy. Maybe $2K if you are a bargain shopper.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
id say a gen 4 6.0 with ls3 heads would be a better hp/$, also more readily available and handle power adders better. Only disadvantage is you'd have to open the motor up, but that is probably not a bad idea on a used engine anyways. The 6.0 is gonna be ~100-120 lbs heavier, which on a street car is negligible in my opinion.

But like previously stated no LS is drop in ready, fbody ls1 might be the closest since the pan should work, the intake will fit and it has a drive by cable tb.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
$3K is ALOOOOOT of money for a 5.7 of any variety. Wraith hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned.

Finding a running van or truck with 6.0 and 4L80 for $1500 isn't mission impossible. Scrap the truck/van after the swap for $250-500. Add in the $3K in misc poop for a total of $4000-4500. If you're interested in a power adder, whether nitrous, blower or turbo, then a 5.3 or 4.8 will put the Vette 5.7 to shame and be a bunch cheaper.

It's very popular to go looking for Vette or specially built motors for swaps. But the LS world has made that a total waste of money IMHO. Why drop the 8-10K of jing on a 700HP built LS7? Especially considering that some kid will pull up next to you in his crap box S10 with a blown or turbo'd junkyard 4.8 and walk you like it's his job. He won't have the 6K you're going to need in both his drivetrain and vehicle.

My two cents - if you don't like'm then throw them back. Just let me know so I can duck :):)

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
id say a gen 4 6.0 with ls3 heads would be a better hp/$, also more readily available and handle power adders better. .

I agree with this ^^^.. Look for a low mileage LY6 pull out with harness and ECM. More power potential for the same money. Gen 4 engines also have a stronger bottom end.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
As Cali said, an n/a LS is pointless in my eyes. And, like Jake said, just inject what you have. Now, as far as OD, I don't know if the cost of a 2004r is better than a newer trans swap....

Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Whatever used LS drivetrain you may consider, a complete setup which may include the vehicle it is in is the way to go.
Many of the issues requiring spending money can be fabbed out if you have the skill. I have an f-body pan in my g-body after cutting & reboxing crossmember. Someone on pro-touring ,com has a 2nd gen firebird WITH the batwing oil pan. I have the low mount f-body ac mounting location used with now a sanden ac compressor to go along with my aftermarket vintage air unit, which clears up a lot of room. Cut & reboxed the frame behind idler slightly & a notch in crossmember for it. Reworked my original crossmember for t-56 than came with my engine.. Modified original diesel tank & sending unit to hold tpi pump years ago. Made engine mounts, though now because of availability I'd probably just buy.The vette & 4th gen f-body fans will fit with a few brackets.
On the truck engines, seen plenty of big ugly truck intakes fit under stock hoods as well as accessory drives. Truck pans are a no because of depth. If you do search truck engines, at least get newer than 04'. Getting something with the matching trans you can use with harness is another plus in cost.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Has anyone on this forum, or any g-body builds period, done a comprehensive, line by line cost/labor analysis of an LS swap?

And I mean...EVERYTHING. I'd like to see the cost of new everything (except the engine) to get an LS in and working correctly, even the tune.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor