Threadlocker, threadsealer, or lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
I'm getting ready to put my engine together and I want to make sure its sealed right the first time. I hate leaks!
So can any of you engine geniuses school me on what to use for the following bolts/ parts. Any tips and tricks also welcome!
Feel free to add if you have questions also.
Thread locker, thread sealer, lube, Silicone, antiseize, etc for the following:

Installing Intake manifold, and what to apply to bolts?

Water Pump gaskets and bolts?

Installing Timing Cover and what to apply to bolts?

Transmission to engine bolts?

Torque converter bolts?

flexplate bolts?

Carb to manifold bolts?

Oil Pan bolts?

Exhaust Manifold studs/bolts?

Also I'm going to be using a one piece felpro oil pan gasket and I heard some people apply silicone on certain areas, or does it go on dry?

Thanks

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i got arp bolt kit and it was already coated in threadlocker. or goto yer local auto parts store and get them $.99 ketchup packets of threadlocker.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I use anti seize on all the bolts expect for the flexplate to crank and convertor bolts for which I use thread locker and for the oil pan I use studs that I thread lock into the block and anti seize for the nuts

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I never put anything on any of the bolts besides head bolts on a sbc or screw in studs on a cylinder head. I used ARP thread sealer on the threads and arp torque lube under the head of the bolt. Sometimes on the intake bolts of a sbc if it is seeping oil from the center intake bolts.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
richp85elco said:
I'm getting ready to put my engine together and I want to make sure its sealed right the first time. I hate leaks!
So can any of you engine geniuses school me on what to use for the following bolts/ parts. Any tips and tricks also welcome!
Feel free to add if you have questions also.
Thread locker, thread sealer, lube, Silicone, antiseize, etc for the following:

Installing Intake manifold, and what to apply to bolts? I use a thin layer of RTV around the water jackets and intake ports(some people say not to use around ports because the gas will eventually eat but i've never had a problem. Then I use thread sealer on all the bolts.

Water Pump gaskets and bolts? Again, RTV on the gaskets, then thread sealer on the bolts.

Installing Timing Cover and what to apply to bolts? RTV on the gasket, nothin on the bolts.

Transmission to engine bolts? I don't use anything, but you could prolly use blue locktight if you are worried about them backing out.

Torque converter bolts? Blue or red locktite. I'd use blue.

flexplate bolts? Red loctite.

Carb to manifold bolts? Nothing.

Oil Pan bolts? Nothing.

Exhaust Manifold studs/bolts? Nothing, lol. You could use antisieze if you want.

Also I'm going to be using a one piece felpro oil pan gasket and I heard some people apply silicone on certain areas, or does it go on dry? I used RTV in the corners of the main caps only.

Thanks

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Hi X2 with (jrm81bu) but for the intake manifold i ditch the rubber gaskets and put a 3/8 bead of RTV and when it is fully set up i cut the rest off. The rubber gaskets starts to leak this is what i found happen with a alum intake.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
larryo454 said:
Hi X2 with (jrm81bu) but for the intake manifold i ditch the rubber gaskets and put a 3/8 bead of RTV and when it is fully set up i cut the rest off. The rubber gaskets starts to leak this is what i found happen with a alum intake.

Yep, I do the same. I shoulda mentioned that.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
larryo454 said:

x3

And for the RTV, I always apply it to the block. Then let it sit about 10-15 before putting the intake on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor