Tightening belt method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Isn't there two bolts that allow the body to pivot? I thought there may a bolt in the side of the body that adjusts tension but I could be wrong. It has been years since I have done anything with an air pump on an Olds V8.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
sigh....

It's been a long time since I've done one, but they're not that tuff. PITA to get to, though.

Apparently you haven't really looked this over real well yet or you'd see it's not that tough. Get a 3/8" breaker bar. This is for the adjuster square hole on the end of the bracket. You'll need this to pull up on the A.I.R. pump bracket to put the tension on the belt.

I don't recall the head sizes, but there's the bottom swivel bolt for the A/C compressor. It's a through-bolt with a nut on the end. This is also the top swivel bolt for the A.I.R. pump. You loosen that a little bit. No need to remove. 15 mm comes to mind, but don't quote me on that.

There's two plates for brackets, a forward and a rear, to this thing. On each, you'll see an arc slot for adjustability. There's bolts on the head (right next to the fuel pump- the REAL PITA bolt) and there's also one right about behind the A/C belt on the bracketry itself. Loosen these and the A.I.R. pump should move easily. These may be 14 or 15 mm bolt head size. But again, don't recall for sure.

Use the breaker bar to put the proper tension on the belt, then tighten down the front bolt behind the A/C belt. Very snug. This should hold everything in place until you can tighten the rest of the bolts. It's better if you have a helper to either mess with the bolts or put tension on the belt.

That taxed my brain without going out and looking at it again (I know it's been years since I've even bothered to look), but I believe that should get you where you want to be.

If I remember, I might take pictures when I go out to the shop again.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maybe pics will help

front A.I.R. adjustment bolt.JPG

rear A.I.R. adjustment bolt.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I bet it's the bearings squealing in that useless air pump and not the belt.

I've seen so many of them seize solid, I've stopped counting

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
And just so you know, there were some 69 Camaros that came with A.I.R. pumps. :)

Reactions: 1 users

88olds32

Apprentice
Feb 10, 2014
sigh....

It's been a long time since I've done one, but they're not that tuff. PITA to get to, though.

Apparently you haven't really looked this over real well yet or you'd see it's not that tough. Get a 3/8" breaker bar. This is for the adjuster square hole on the end of the bracket. You'll need this to pull up on the A.I.R. pump bracket to put the tension on the belt.

I don't recall the head sizes, but there's the bottom swivel bolt for the A/C compressor. It's a through-bolt with a nut on the end. This is also the top swivel bolt for the A.I.R. pump. You loosen that a little bit. No need to remove. 15 mm comes to mind, but don't quote me on that.

There's two plates for brackets, a forward and a rear, to this thing. On each, you'll see an arc slot for adjustability. There's bolts on the head (right next to the fuel pump- the REAL PITA bolt) and there's also one right about behind the A/C belt on the bracketry itself. Loosen these and the A.I.R. pump should move easily. These may be 14 or 15 mm bolt head size. But again, don't recall for sure.

Use the breaker bar to put the proper tension on the belt, then tighten down the front bolt behind the A/C belt. Very snug. This should hold everything in place until you can tighten the rest of the bolts. It's better if you have a helper to either mess with the bolts or put tension on the belt.

That taxed my brain without going out and looking at it again (I know it's been years since I've even bothered to look), but I believe that should get you where you want to be.

If I remember, I might take pictures when I go out to the shop again.

Thanks 69hurstolds. This was a PITA to do alone, but I managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor