Times are changin according to cost of G's locally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a '79 Malibu coupe for $200 in 1998 that had a ridiculous aftermarket Landau vinyl top (with continental-style openings over the quarter windows). The bubbas at the top shop had cut the drip rails from the back of the front doors to the quarters using a Sawzall, then used about 200 pop rivets to mount the trim across the roof. The Santa Fe sun had killed the vinyl and the rain water had started to eat the roof underneath. I started trying to undo the hack job, but eventually stripped the car and pitched it. Sadly, it had a cherry frame and left rear quarter. The whole body shell would have been completely usable with a new roof grafted on - had a good title too. I had to get it out of my yard when I moved. Hoarder's lament. When I see the amount of work some guys are putting into rot mitigation, I'm so bummed I can't reach back in time and hand it over to them.

I post links periodically to survivors in New Mexico listed on Craigslist. So far, no one has made a several-thousand mile round-trip to bring back one of these to the Salt Belt. If a decent interior was combined with a rust-free body that just needs paint, it seems like such a journey would ultimately be less hard work...just have to find one that has not been 'low-ridered'.

Last edited:
Cash for clunkers was a major gbody killer in my area. At that time there were still a few dozen gbody daily drivers on the road that ended up in dealer storage lots. Meanwhile salvage yards saw a decline in demand for them leading to reduce inventories.

• Agree
Reactions: Alerch
CfC was a colossal cluster turd. Around our area too so many good classic iron was destroyed, including quite a few g-bodies.

It's just the standard movement of time. Used to be the '70s cars were cheap, now even mid-70s Camaros are going up in value. The last 5 years or so, 80s cars have been throw-away cheap. Now you're seeing them going up in value. It comes from the collectabilty going up while enthusiasts plucked up all the cheap cars and now that they're getting hard to find, enthusiasts are charging a premium for them...even if it's a gutless smog-era POS.

kinda makes me re-think the idea of selling the cutty... maybe find a dry storage for if for the next 10 years or so!
all kidding aside, I was lucky enough to pick up all 3 of my g-bodies on the cheap. I paid $400 for the regal 15 years ago,and drove it for 2 solid years before it became a yard-art project car, the cutty I picked up for $500 3 years ago, and refreshed the motor-still telling myself that I'll get the title straight one of these days... and the GP I was lucky enough to pick up for $650 about 6 months ago at an auction , and have been driving/enjoying it... hopefully I can hang on to these and see them become the modern day tri-5's like we all think they'll be. I've always had a love for the 57's, and hope my g's will have people gawking at them the same way in the future..

G bodies are a rare site these days.there are plenty around me but nobody drives them.

I bet the grand prix values are gonna way up there.there arent many around.car show i went today had a sh*t ton of Gs.mine was the only grand prix.

DSCN5944.JPG
I grabbed my projects when they were available. Hope I get on with rebuilding them before the aftermarket dries up as well.

Reactions: pontiacgp
IMG_4951.JPG
IMG_4724.JPG
I'm going to say no - like I said I can't even get a bite on mine 53,000 org mi.'s new engine and too may new parts to mention That's $4000.00 on the window

Last edited:
I can't believe bow tie still has that car. Two years ago I was talking to him on a mercedes my family sold and he was showing it to me, but that seems like a really long time ago now lol

Times are changing but I feel G-bodies are not pulling the money they should. Cash for clunkers took most of the cars from that era, insurance companies got in the salvage game, and junkyards are rapidly disappearing. Despite becoming rare the G-bodies were never considered muscle cars (exc GN) and I don't think they will ever pull the big bucks. I see G-bodies w/ extremely low mi.'s that are bargains not selling. I personally had a beautiful 81 Regal w/ 21,000 original mi that wouldn't sell till I gave it away. I currently have an 81 GP for sale for 6 months w/o even an inquiry. Also have an 86 turbo regal body and frame for $350 w/title no hits. I believe the collector car market has peeked and is declining but it will always be there.

I'm on the same page with you. Junkyards with good old school iron are far and few. G-bodies will never be 70-72 Chevelles or GTO's, nor command that price. On another note, it seems like people aren't buying anything. I've been seeing the same cars for sale on CL for the past year. And btw......I do like your GP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor