Tire problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

'81 Grand Prix LJ

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2011
Repentigny, Qc, Canada
Hey guys! I've installed some 225 / 70/R15 Radial T/A's on my '81 GP and when i fully turn my wheels they rub the upper control arm...Is it just me or has anyone else faced the same problem? I know that my car needs new shocks and probably new coils but would that really affect my wheels?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I had the same problems with a 70 profile on a 15 inch rally rim. I had to go to a 60 and the 255/60s in back still rub without the 5/16ths spacer on each side.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've used 225/70 x 15 quite a few years ago. They are a bit taller than a 60 or 65 series tire. When I first had them installed, they would rub on the corner of the front airdam and the top edge of the fenders. At the time I ended up going with better springs and shocks, which eliminated the problem. I did not have a problem with the tires hitting the upper control arms.
However, in more recent years, I used different rims and they would knock the inner weights off of the rims..hitting the control arms. That was easily rectified with thin wheel spacers.
Since then I've gone with 60 and 65 series tires. It did cruise nicely on the interstate with the 70's. Almost like having overdrive... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor