Went & did some tire kicking

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not sure why I went & did this evening but took a trip with the Jr. Mechanic to look at a '79 Monte Carlo project. The wife is kinda on board as it could be the Jr. Mechanics gateway to being a true gearhead. It has good potental while being the nastiest car I have ever seen. Got soild floors, no visible water leaks into the cabin or trunk, most complete under the hood enegine I've ever seen on a A/G, bold color cloth camel interior with great plastic except the dash pad, repaired frame rails with one missed spot that wouldn't be an issue to patch. Seller has extra doors which it could use, complete front clip, another trunk lid. Body could use some TLC with some dings, dents & scrapes, most of the paint might buff out. Then there was what looked like 2 lbs of snake skins, 3 lbs of snake poo, lots of rodent droppings in the cabin. Lots of signs of being a vermin hotel as the car has been sitting since '09 after the seller drove it for a year. If it wasn't for that nasty mess this car would be an easy starter project for us to get a powered mover for the Jr. Mechanic to start learning how to wrench on cars. The cars is a Landau with a 305/TH200, posi that might be a 2.73, cloth bench, A/C, F41 (or F40?) with a broken rear swaybar. I've seen & driven worse with the exception of the skins & poo. Another thing that would be a plus is being able to buy & transfer the seller's antique plate since last time I looked Pa allows them to be transfered/sold to the buyer.

DSCN4403.JPG DSCN4404.JPG DSCN4405.JPG DSCN4406.JPG DSCN4407.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4408.JPG
    DSCN4408.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 77
  • DSCN4409.JPG
    DSCN4409.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • DSCN4410.JPG
    DSCN4410.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: 7 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would be mostly concerned with what is under that vinyl top.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I would be mostly concerned with what is under that vinyl top.
Yea, that's one of the concerns with it as I really don't want to bother with vinyl tops. We had rains here today & didn't see anything wet so maybe it might of not killed the roof. Plans would include removing it.
Get him a wagon 🤪
Think he'll be happy with anything with that extra pedal. Part of his plans for the car.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Save for the skins/poo, and the chrome bumper bits, the car looks pretty solid until you get to what I see is crunchy goodness underneath that vinyl top on the driver A-pillar. Shouldn't be lumpy like that.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
The biggest challenge with 78-80's is the lack of replacement sheet metal. Donovan makes it look easy, but it's not.

On the up side, it looks like the kind of car that would be perfect for a Jr. Mechanic to cut their teeth on. Every aspect of the car needs TLC from sitting so long. There's definitely a ton of experience to be had in getting it back on the road.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Save for the skins/poo, and the chrome bumper bits, the car looks pretty solid until you get to what I see is crunchy goodness underneath that vinyl top on the driver A-pillar. Shouldn't be lumpy like that.
I was surprised when I looked under & the floors are all there but there has to be a hole somewhere so all those critters had a way in. The A pillars are a concern along with all the covered half of the roof but we did have some good rains earlier in the day & I didn't find any signs of water. Maybe a chance typical poor body work cause it was getting a vinyl top? Regardless it will go away if we get it.
The biggest challenge with 78-80's is the lack of replacement sheet metal. Donovan makes it look easy, but it's not.

On the up side, it looks like the kind of car that would be perfect for a Jr. Mechanic to cut their teeth on. Every aspect of the car needs TLC from sitting so long. There's definitely a ton of experience to be had in getting it back on the road.
It is a good car to for the Jr. Mechanic to cut his teeth on with some real work that needs to be done but nothing so major that would scare him off. I was 12 when I started to get my hands dirty with my one friend in his dad's garage. He does like the car & he kept on jumping in the front seat dispite what was all on it. I figured the complete clean up will have me gut the interior.

Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I was surprised when I looked under & the floors are all there but there has to be a hole somewhere so all those critters had a way in. The A pillars are a concern along with all the covered half of the roof but we did have some good rains earlier in the day & I didn't find any signs of water. Maybe a chance typical poor body work cause it was getting a vinyl top? Regardless it will go away if we get it.

It is a good car to for the Jr. Mechanic to cut his teeth on with some real work that needs to be done but nothing so major that would scare him off. I was 12 when I started to get my hands dirty with my one friend in his dad's garage. He does like the car & he kept on jumping in the front seat dispite what was all on it. I figured the complete clean up will have me HIM gut the interior.
FIFY

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor