Tire sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
What kind of clearance do you have between the frame and tire??

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
The 1/4" clearance between the tire and frame maybe enough, does it rub? Maybe you need a smaller spacer than 5/16". The tires should fit but with very little clearance.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Well they do fit with very little clearance. Sadly, I live in MN where it snowed 10 " today, so the car hasn't been out with its new shoes.

1fast87LS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2006
St. Albans WV
they dont rub and i have bout a 1inch to 1inch and a half clearance ill post pics soon

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
What clearance is 1 to 1 1/2? The tire sidewall to frame or the tire sidewall to outer fender lip? In either case I find it hard to believe that 295 tires have that much clearance.

ChevyIIMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2005
I put 275/60/15's on my 85 Regal and with a 4.75 backspace they had a bit of room on the fender side but both lightly rubbed the frame. With proper backsapcing I can see them fitting nicely.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
1fast87LS said:
they dont rub and i have bout a 1inch to 1inch and a half clearance ill post pics soon

Maybe he's rocking the tractor-pull look!! :wink: Just kidding there LS. I wish these cars were easier to stuff a tire under.

86Cutlass350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2006
Springfield, MO
ChevyIIMan said:
I put 275/60/15's on my 85 Regal and with a 4.75 backspace they had a bit of room on the fender side but both lightly rubbed the frame. With proper backsapcing I can see them fitting nicely.

well, basically, I'm trying to find out what backspacing is. I could care less if the tires stick out on the sides, I want traction and don't want the tires rubbing the frame. The back of the car is lifted with raising blocks, so the frame is the only clearance problem. Will a higher backspace on the wheel keep the tire closer or farther from the frame?

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
What is a "raising block"? Backspacing is the distance from the inside flange of the wheel to the inside edge of the wheel rim. G-Bodys need a 4.5" backspacing to not run on the frame.

86Cutlass350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2006
Springfield, MO
mrapii said:
What is a "raising block"? Backspacing is the distance from the inside flange of the wheel to the inside edge of the wheel rim. G-Bodys need a 4.5" backspacing to not run on the frame.

So if I wanted to run 295/50/15s, then should I look for wheels with a higher backspace or a lower backspace? Also, will having a wider wheel help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor