Tire sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
mrapii said:
...G-Bodys need a 4.5" backspacing to not run on the frame.

If you are talking in the rear, 4.5" is too much from my experiences (and even moreso up front), depending what size tire you want to run. With 4.25" BS 80/81 Z28 wheels I couldn't even mount the wheels with 245/60/15 rear tires. A 5/16" spacer allowed me to fit them with minimal clearance. Up front I still had just a touch of rubbing that the wheel weights would get slightly shaved - 215/65's were tight around the wheel well. I now have 245/60s all around on stock 3.75" BS Monte SS wheels.

Most G-body stock backspacing ranged from 3.75" to 4.25". Front BS clearances change quite a bit once you go to larger wheels.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Well I finally took my car out with the new 275s. They rub oh-so-little on the inside. I am thinking of making even a sheetmetal spacer. They look fantastic. I suppose I will have to watch it going into steep driveways and such, but for the traction and great looks, its worth it.

ChevyIIMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2005
Yeah I too put the 275/60/15's on my Regal todfay and with a 7/16 spacer they fit PERFECT........ so 4.25BS on these 7in rim is the magic number

And with that 1.5in drop they tuck nice.... and those Firehawk SS20 Hook good to cause I went mid 12's with those on my nova

RegalRallys%20(2).JPG

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Geez man those look great. I'm thinking that the flare in the Regal fender affords you a lil more room on the outside. And the 7" rim pulls the tire in a bit more than an 8". But it is possible either way. I like the look, even with the Chevy wheels.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
mrapii said:
What clearance is 1 to 1 1/2? The tire sidewall to frame or the tire sidewall to outer fender lip? In either case I find it hard to believe that 295 tires have that much clearance.

I've had people claim 295s fit IN the wheel wells but when you see pix of their cars they are all mad hooiser-ish with the wheels sticking 2 inches outside the rear quarters....I think some people don't understand "fit" versuses "may work with modifications" i.e. air shocks or cargo coils. Personally my 87 had Monte rims (not my doing) I had 255/60-15s in the back no problem .... my 86 had 70 14" SSIIs (important because backspace sits in an extra 1/4"). I had 235/60-r14s (all 4 corners) they rubbed a touch (rear only) ...a 3/8" space resolved that issue. the 87 ran a smaller front tire. I want to say 225/70/15. I agree the Regal has a tad bit of a flare, and that may allow a little extra room, the Regal looks sweet

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
I went through this on another post and sometimes visuals help more so I drew these crude pictures up

stock 14x6 versuses 14x8 4.25 offset
tech-backspace3.jpg

stock 14x6 versuses 14x8 3.75 offset
tech-backspace1.jpg

tech-backspace.jpg

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Tire Size

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I wanted to share with you that I had 295/50r15 on my first '86 regal. They were mounted on 15x7 Cragar s/s rims with standard bs (4.25?). The tires scrubbed the fram when first put on so I had to install 7/16 spacers which cured the problem. I had wagon springs out back and grandprix deisel springs in the front which raised the car level 1.5-2". Under severe cornering the tires would barely scrub the fender lip.[/img]

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
The tire should never stick out beyond the wheel lip and the top of the tire should not be visible, it should be inside the wheel well. A oversized tire sticking out of the wheel well and the car bouncing all over the road because of cargo spring or air shocks is just dorky. Just my opinion.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
And possibly dangerous, with the tire in striking distance of the fender lip, it could get cut, looking ugly and potentialy causing a blow-out.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Further beating this dead horse the 70s are OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tires/rims should fit the car....btw if you have an 8-track, those are out of date too

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor