To frame notch or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I used the UMI kit but honestly if I were to do it again I would just use the part cut out of the frame and recess it and weld it up and save $100.

Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I used the UMI kit but honestly if I were to do it again I would just use the part cut out of the frame and recess it and weld it up and save $100.
If I had a couple of years more experience I would try that, but UMI is just a couple counties away so I’m going to buy their kit.
That being said, did you think the plate thickness of the kit was too light, or was it heavy enough for you to be confident in it?

Reactions: 1 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
You'll want a good 6 or 8 quality jackstands, and some metal shims. You need to lift the whole car in the air, and support both in front and behind the notch areas on both sides, as well as the front of the car. You'll need to use the metal shims to level the car once it's in the air and off the suspension, both left to right in the front and rear. Metal shims won't compress from weight.

Aside from that, if you saw how flimsy the frames are from the factory you wouldn't be worried about weakening it with the notch. Just good welds, thick steel, and box it all in nice
This completely slipped my mind- where did you check level length wise on your car? The frame rails under the doors or somewhere else?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
This completely slipped my mind- where did you check level length wise on your car? The frame rails under the doors or somewhere else?
I used the under door with the short magnetic levels. The left/right is more important than the front/back if you're working one side at a time and not cutting all the way through.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

This is how I did the wagon. Sh*t simple.

I'll do the Monte this Winter, full notch down to inner wall and relocate the tubs in board. Reinforcing where needed.

I didn't pull the wagon apart to do it. Doubt I will with the Monte either.

Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
View attachment 150425

295's with room to spare
Now THATS what I’m after. The 8.8 swap and it’s wheels might throw me off a bit, but if you’ve got 295s under a Cutlass, I think the Montes can take the same with a similar notch.

Although looking at my wheelhouse, something’s off. Is the seam where the inner tub meets the trunk floor kicked out slightly?

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Now THATS what I’m after. The 8.8 swap and it’s wheels might throw me off a bit, but if you’ve got 295s under a Cutlass, I think the Montes can take the same with a similar notch.

Although looking at my wheelhouse, something’s off. Is the seam where the inner tub meets the trunk floor kicked out slightly?
Mine was slightly but nothing a little hammer work couldn't fix. Plus rolled my fenders

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor