Too loud. Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a crap shoot but...go to the cops and ask them what the local laws are. if possible, get the car tested by them. if it's too loud you just shot yourself in the foot, BUT, if you get pulled over they'll know that you got it tested. this means you're trying to do the right thing, they don't expect you to fix things instantly, and if someone complains the cops are more likely to ignore it. obviously you will have to get it fixed though.
but if it's legal, you can tell everyone to go screw.

megaladon6 said:
this is a crap shoot but...go to the cops and ask them what the local laws are. if possible, get the car tested by them. if it's too loud you just shot yourself in the foot, BUT, if you get pulled over they'll know that you got it tested. this means you're trying to do the right thing, they don't expect you to fix things instantly, and if someone complains the cops are more likely to ignore it. obviously you will have to get it fixed though.
but if it's legal, you can tell everyone to go screw.

Sadly, most local and state laws are very subjective. The determination of "excessive noise" is up to the officer. If he's got a headache, you're screwed. SEMA is pushing a quantitative standard that has a specific decibel level at a specified distance from the meter. The test is defined by SAE, so it's well documented. Without a definite sound level in the law, anything can be enforced. Unfortunately, SEMA is not making much progress with this.

Personally if I would say to leave it the way it is. If you pass inspection and they don't tell you anything is wrong then you should be fine to drive your car the way it is. If you live in an association type place and they tell you to not start it then that is a little different story. For now I say screw them and enjoy it the way it is. Once you start changing thing because of neighbors then your be angry you changed it!

I don't like to hear cars with loud mufflers in my neighborhood. It's annoying. Once in a while is OK and I don't mind the guys down the street when the work on their hot rods. But, the next door neighbor with the daily driver pickup with the loud exhaust is just annoying. If it weren't for the fact that he is a cop I'd stuff a potato it in while he sleeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor