Torque! Rocket power vs LS power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, I guess I can't argue with that type of quantative data. It's official, all LS engines suck.
Below 4000 rpm. I towed my old 16 foot Vanguard with my Inlaws 04 Avalanche 5.3/4L60E/3.73 I believe. My 94 did better in the low rpms, towing the same boat. I sorry that these trucks don't perform below 4000 rpm. Above 4000 rpm is different story. I don't know why GM tuned them like this.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Can't imagine why anyone would buy gas trucks if towing any kind of weight is going to be a regular part of the program
Our old 05 6.6 Duramax/Allison was a much better towing truck than this 11 6L/6spd. It had about 350,000 km on the Duramax.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Apparently a 6.2 is the truck to get, too bad very few are equipped with them. The rest are a dog fest. Again, not talking about the 2014 and up direct injection motors, way better.
Disagree.

Since you're looking 2013-down years it's really the 8.1L trucks are the ones to get. Gets you a superior motor and out of an ls altogether.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Below 4000 rpm. I towed my old 16 foot Vanguard with my Inlaws 04 Avalanche 5.3/4L60E/3.73 I believe. My 94 did better in the low rpms, towing the same boat. I sorry that these trucks don't perform below 4000 rpm. Above 4000 rpm is different story. I don't know why GM tuned them like this.

My observation has been that they cross over closer to 3000, but same idea. Far as I can tell, they lack low end torque for emissions. The cam profiles suppress cylinder pressures which keeps NOx at bay. The rest of the motor breathes which gives it legs.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
That graph of the olds 350 reminds me of a stock W31 motor with a modern grind cam that bumped hp level. The Tq is about the same when it came off the assembly line 51 years ago a W31, correct me if I'm wrong getting older. Could that olds put out little more TQ at a higher rpm absolutely it depends on the builder.
Both engines put out great numbers, ls has the advantage and better heads.
When comes to peak TQ at a certain rpm its all preference.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What LS have variable cam timing? I am wondering if most of trucks I drove don't have it? No one said the LS doesn't have a big advantage in the higher rpm, especially with the Olds stock iron heads, under 200 cfm intake and maybe 160 cfm in non W31 form. Probably 210/170 in W31 form.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
What LS have variable cam timing? I am wondering if most of trucks I drove don't have it? No one said the LS doesn't have a big advantage in the higher rpm, especially with the Olds stock iron heads, under 200 cfm intake and maybe 160 cfm in non W31 form. Probably 210/170 in W31 form.

It only came on the GenIV stuff, and not all of it. Maybe GenV too, but 100% not on the GenIII stuff.

• Informative

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Back in the day a coworker and I had identical 2001 5.3 powered 1500s. Mine was a ROCKET until I got a new 2006 2500HD. My coworkers truck was absolutely garbage, no power, never had the right gear and pretty much felt like a 4.3 V6.

I put 300k km on that truck and 160k km on the 06, 6.0. The 6.0 had 4.11 gears and drove like an old farm truck that was worn out. I don't think it's the motors, I think it's the way GM had then matched to the trans and the tuning.

I had a 2004 Avalanche with a 5.3 and when I moved in 2016 I did a trip with a way overloaded trailer, probably 10k lbs. The Avalanche ran hot and had to be limped up hills. When I played with it on EFI live the knock sensors were all over the place and I could never tune them properly so it lived in the low octane map.

Like anything, tuning and sensors make a huge difference. If you went for a ride in my regal when it was N/A, you would absolutely change your tune. An animal for a "low compression" LS with only a cam and tuned by a moron.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Back in the day a coworker and I had identical 2001 5.3 powered 1500s. Mine was a ROCKET until I got a new 2006 2500HD. My coworkers truck was absolutely garbage, no power, never had the right gear and pretty much felt like a 4.3 V6.

I put 300k km on that truck and 160k km on the 06, 6.0. The 6.0 had 4.11 gears and drove like an old farm truck that was worn out. I don't think it's the motors, I think it's the way GM had then matched to the trans and the tuning.

I had a 2004 Avalanche with a 5.3 and when I moved in 2016 I did a trip with a way overloaded trailer, probably 10k lbs. The Avalanche ran hot and had to be limped up hills. When I played with it on EFI live the knock sensors were all over the place and I could never tune them properly so it lived in the low octane map.

Like anything, tuning and sensors make a huge difference. If you went for a ride in my regal when it was N/A, you would absolutely change your tune. An animal for a "low compression" LS with only a cam and tuned by a moron.
I have never disputed any of this, it has to be a tune issue, has to be. GM must be wildly optimistic and obviously only some are hitting the mark. That 6L dyno test was with Holley software, no doubt way better than a stock truck tune. I assumed the lousy low end tune was protecting the fragile 4L60-70E. The shift programming on the 6 spd was also garbage on the 11 with the 5.3, always hunting and never finding low rpm power. My only experience with these motors is the stock truck tune. When I borrowed my Inlaws 04 Avalanche, I ready was to be impressed, wow 295 hp and 335 ft/lbs. It had to be way more than the 307 headed Olds 350 in my 94 Z71, it wasn't where it counted as a truck. I was warned that the head light fell out and along with blowing fuses, it really disappointed me. The only bonus was better mileage. All rest were the same, disappointing. When I finally drove the two 17's, 5.3/8spd wow what a difference, they went like hell. I should have bought my BIL's 17 GMC for the 28K he sold it for, a steal in today's market. Way better mileage than my lousy Dakota.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Probably the DBW controls, they are designed to learn to go "lazy" over time to conserve gas. Its one of the many reasons I hate DBW, the response is unpredictable because of the self learning feature .

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor