Total timing question

Status
Not open for further replies.
565bbchevy said:
As far as harmonic balancers you can't go wrong with the big name brands. I have personally used Fluidampr,TCI Rattler and ATI Super Damper and all have worked well. I currently have the TCI on which I like because if I don't get one of my spark plug boots on all the way it will rattle on that cylinder.
You appear to have a good amount of money in your set up so I wouldn't skimp on the one thing that keeps your engine balanced and if you go to the track you would want an SFI approved balancer anyways.

Thanks. I do have a good amount of money in my setup but cant help but drool when I read your signature.
I will look into the brand name balancers. Damn, I just want to drive this thing.

Since you have put serious money into the engine I'd look into changing distributors. I was never impressed with the street fire brand. I know someone who tried one out on a circle track car and he tossed it in the garbage after the practice day. DUI is a good distributor and they can build you one to suit your engine. We ran one on our circle track car and it worked great. I have the MSD E-curve on mine and that works well. It's MSD but it's one of their products they make in the US, unlike their street fire brand.

pontiacgp said:
Since you have put serious money into the engine I'd look into changing distributors. I was never impressed with the street fire brand. I know someone who tried one out on a circle track car and he tossed it in the garbage after the practice day. DUI is a good distributor and they can build you one to suit your engine. We ran one on our circle track car and it worked great. I have the MSD E-curve on mine and that works well. It's MSD but it's one of their products they make in the US, unlike their street fire brand.

Thanks Pontiacgp.
Amazing what you learn after you buy stuff.
My engine was supposed to be a budget build. I started collecting parts thinking I could do it for $3000.
When I passed the $3000 mark I said screw it and likely more than doubled my original budget.
The damper and distributor were purchased when I was still on a budget.
I will put a new distributor on my wish list but I cant really afford to replace things that aren't broken right now.

pontiacgp said:
Just wondering what valve springs you have that prevent the valves from floating at 43º

LOL, I think we established that I am not actually at 43*.
I think I was actually around 34* and it needs a couple more.

that makes sense...the nice thing with the E-curve distributor I have is that you set the total timing and then set the idle advance and curve with the two dials. The distributor controls the advance digitally so it's constant every time and never goes above the total timing that you set. It also has an adjustable rev limiter on another dial. We just sold the crate out of the superstock and the DUI wasn't sold with it. I don't know what the plans are for it but if you want me to check to see if it's for sale let me know.

81GrandPrix383 said:
Friend, we are having a communication problem.
I set the timing at 3200 rpms. I was just mentioning the idle. 2 different things.

Apparently so. You've been saying your car idles like crap and didn't know what the base timing was set at, so I was trying to help you with your idle/timing issues which would then should help you get your total timing issues sorted out.

Got my new balancer and removed the old one. On the bench the new balancer lined up exactly the same as the old one.
Installed the new one anyway.
Whats next?
Timing light?
Distributor?

81GrandPrix383 said:
Got my new balancer and removed the old one. On the bench the new balancer lined up exactly the same as the old one.
Installed the new one anyway.
Whats next?
Timing light?
Distributor?

Are you saying the problem is exactly the same as in the first post? Have you timed it and confirmed your numbers?

I think the others were saying the balancer is "shifting" in operation. I dont know enough about balancers to comment whether they "shift" and then return to the original position.

Thanks I wasn't clear.

I don't know how balancers shift either. I was thinking that it would shift and stay shifted but again I don't know. Maybe someone can jump in who has first hand knowledge.
I didn't start the car after replacing the balancer. It was 9pm and I have 2 small children that were sleeping.
Car is way too loud to fire up when people are sleeping.

So all I did was compare the two balancers off the motor with the keyway lined up. The degree markings lined up exactly the same leading me to believe that I didn't correct anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor