TRACTION HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

81elcamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2009
illinois
okkk, yea I put a whole fiberglass frontend on it to try to lighten it up and got aluminum heads for the new motor, so hopefully that helps, ill try the adjustible uppers, relcocation brackets if i need them and that tire size that you mentioned, it might be a while but ill let ya know how it goes. thanks for the help!

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
the reason it would hit too hard is because the geometry will create soo much i/c change that it tries to move the rearend forward and down quicker than the car will move forward. i experienced that as well with my southside machine bars and it hit so hard i broke a u-joint on dragradials on the street. not to mention the car would act like it was lifting the rear of the car like 2 inches and the tires would run into the front of the rear wheel wells.

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
monte olrac said:
If you use v6 springs up front it will transfer weight qicker at launch also
true, but they will compress again quickly and should be used in conjunction with a comp 3 way shock in the front.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
even on street tires my car hooked up way better on the track. i would take it there and see what it does

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Just a question. Why do the V6 springs help?

Clanceman427

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2010
West Chester, PA
Depending on your budget and needs (like are you full race?), you could see how deep you want to go. I am full race but stock wheel wells and frame rails on my Monte, here's a pic of my setup. It's a 9" with the adj. upper arms, tubular arms, drag springs, and a single pass. air bag. This setup works extremely well. I have the uppers set to the hardest-hitting setting, and I set my pinion angle I think to 1.5°(have to go back to my log book). The airbag is essential on my car to make it launch straight, i.e. not lift the driver's side higher than the pass. side. Before the air bag, the twisted launches unloaded the drivers side tire. Now the lauches are straight, using 28.5x11.5-15 Phoenix slicks. 60 fts. are 1.48-1.50 all the time.

A huge help for me diagnosing the traction issues I had was having video footage of my launches and reviewing them is slo-mo. Man you can really see what's going on with good video from the track.

On an unrelated note, the video also clued me in to a tie rod problem up front which made me investigate further before disaster struck.

Kevin

Attachments

• CIMG0178.JPG
    CIMG0178.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,254
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,270

81elcamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2009
illinois
hey kevin thanks for your help. the car is mostly going to be street driven. i havent really set a budget yet because i wont be done spending untill the car hooks, lol. i have tubular non adjustible uppers but have been debating on getting adj ones. ive also been thinkin about the drag bag, how much psi do you have in yours. and im gunna be running a 28-11.5 hoosier qtp soon and was wondering what you had to do to get yours to fit(backspacing/rim size) since their almost the same size tire. also what gear are you running b/c i went with a 3.70 since its going to be on the street mostly. thanks alot, joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor