Trailer hitch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also don't see class III hitches anymore for our cars. A class II would be all I'd need. I don't plan on pulling anything heavier than 3500 lbs.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Would a class I just be a typical bumper hitch? I had one of those on the car that was bolted to the bumper and the brace across the rear of the frame. I'm assuming that was a class I hitch.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
It seems like draw tite discontinued their clas 3 hitch. luckily i have on that came on my 81 wagon and got another for free from a buddy for my 83. Keep an eye on craigslist. see them all the time on there.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
summit racing also sells the curt class 2 for $143 shipped
Thanks Ed,
Do you have one on your wagon?
Sorry man, I just read that you have one on your car.

Yeah, I noticed Draw-tite no longer lists a hitch for our cars.

I have checked out Craigslist to no avail...but I think I may have a line on one. It's a little further away, so it's a matter of arranging a meet.

Last edited:

el corvino

Greasemonkey
Aug 23, 2015
They have not made class III for over 10 years now I believe. You'll have to find a used one. They were designed for the slight difference of the A-Body frame of im not mistaken. Regaurdless, I'm sure they stoppped because some idiot tried to use it to a class III full load capacity and couldn't stop in top due to stock G-Body brakes. I have one on all my cars. Don't use it to trailer, just for the frame support.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Mike,
I'd want it for towing and of course, frame bracing. Used ones aren't that easy to come by.
I would use it for light towing...small car, and like I mentioned earlier, a teardrop trailer...maybe even a small utility trailer.

Last edited:

el corvino

Greasemonkey
Aug 23, 2015
Oh, I'm just saying I've seen people with dual axle car trailers with another vehicle on the back of it... stock suspension and stock brakes. Personally, I have a 6 piston front and big disc set up in the rear of mine and without a brake controller I wouldn't consider pulling a large load. A year drop or motor cycle trailer is totally different. I just have a step bar on mine. Haha

Attachments

• IMG_3318.JPG
    IMG_3318.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 85

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Oh, I'm just saying I've seen people with dual axle car trailers with another vehicle on the back of it... stock suspension and stock brakes. Personally, I have a 6 piston front and big disc set up in the rear of mine and without a brake controller I wouldn't consider pulling a large load. A year drop or motor cycle trailer is totally different. I just have a step bar on mine. Haha
Yeah, people take huge chances. I wouldn't pull a car trailer with a car loaded on it...that's totally insane. Even with larger brakes...and even equipped with trailer brakes, I wouldn't take a chance. These cars weren't built to do any heavy duty towing.
It looks like your car has more than adequate braking.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

el corvino

Greasemonkey
Aug 23, 2015
Haha. Thanks. If you can wait, you can find a Class III used eventually in the $100 - $150 range worst case. I've never used any of mine to pull anything, just for structural support. (Hope it's never needed)

That said, I was randomly looking through my Cutlass book from GM... it said, if pulling a loaded trailer with a weight of > 1,000 lbs ( > 455 kg you Canadians) that trailer brakes were recommended. 2 things came to mind. (1) My Cutlass weight distribution is better than any of my Elco's (were from the factory) and (2) I can locate even the rarest of NOS parts... I'd really have to research to find a NOS or used brake controller that was meant for our cars. Haha

I'm sure people just know Class III is associated with a 5,000 lb capacity and take that at face value. The structure of the Class III itself blows away any Class II that's available which is why I use them. I can send you more info on them and what to look for if you'd like.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor