Trans cooler lines leak at radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.

200kss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2006
Missouri
I've installed 2 new radiators in 2 different cars. 1 a higher end aftermarket aluminum radiator and the other a standard plastic/aluminum replacement. Neither of them will seal at the upper transmission cooler line port. Adding Teflon tape to the threads slow the leak down to just a trickle

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Are you using the right fitting? Is it a pipe thread or straight thread?

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if two rads leak and teflon tape only slows it down I would be looking at the flare on the pipe, you'll probably have to cut it off and flare it again. The tube nut is probably ok to use it again

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What are your trans lines made of?

200kss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2006
Missouri
These are original lines, that did not leak with the previous radiators. Hard to believe both new radiators have issues but I have verified the lines are not cracked nor cross threaded.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
2 radiators with the same issue make the lines most likely the culprit, You can replace the lines with Cunifer tubing and they will seal better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor