Trans Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one seems to believe me. But you should run it to the cooler before the rad. Otherwise the fluid will be to cool as it re enters the transmission. Just call any good transmission shop and ask them.

JBreu said:
bjohn07 said:
JBreu said:
When it comes to protecting your transmission, more is ALWAYS better.............Run the fluid through your radiator then your aftermarket cooler that should be attached to the front side of same 🙂
dont run it through both. u want ur trans operating temp to not go much higher than 175 degrees. anything higher than that starts breaking down fluid and thats was causes ur trans to fail. if u run a t stat. 165 usually ur operating temp will be around 185 to 195 degrees. and a t stat higher than 165 and ur operating temp can get to 200 here in texas. with the fluid going the the rad it just warms it up to go through the cooler and get the cooler warmer than it needs to be. just plug up the cooler lines in the rad. and run ur rubber hoses to the cooler mounted to the front of the rad. u should be okay with dual fan setup. i run a 10by15 in my car with a single electric fan setup. and the fluid gets hot when the trans is under a load and by then ur moving down the road so u got the air being forced through the cooler.
WE all don't live in texas with the hot heat..........................I guess it's your preference.........
true it does get hotter down south. and im just going by what pa told me when i bought a aode from them cuz i was going thru the same deal.

khan0165 said:
all good inputs guys,

maybe I should have posted about my setup a little more...

Yes, I have a thermostat on my trans, with a guage. The trans usually runs 140 deg F. In rush hour, stop & go traffic, it runs as high as 160 deg F. The highest I've seen it is 200 deg F, which occured when drag racing on a VERY hot day, and I had the fluid changed for pre-causion.

The trans rarely gets into 160 deg F under normal opperation, and it goes upto 180 to 190 deg F under heavy drag racing.

... These temps are WITHOUT an extra cooler, and with the setup I currently have. Is this a normal scenerio? Do I even need a cooler?

I live in Ottawa Canada, and temp sometimes gets into 30 to 35 deg C (90 to 95 deg F) during the summer. Under drag racing conditions, I fear the temp might climb into the 200 deg F range. So I would feel safe adding a cooler.

... what do you guys think?
and it is ur preference, but since u got a guage why dont u check it out while running it through ur internal and external cooler. then just the external alone. then u can tell us which does better with ur setup. i have a guage on mine to that is what i did and that is why i run the external alone. here in tx when i took it to the track in summer. running it through both internal and external coolers my trans hit 190 on a 98degree day.. that is without a thermostat in my cooling system. drove it home and went back a 2 days later just running the external cooler on a 102 degree day and my trans didnt go higher than 175. with that guage u will know for sure what will work better for u.

I see alot of of opinions on here. How about some facts. Like what most Cooler Manf. suggest you to do. Here is a quick google search. From a transmission Cooler Manf.

GVW ratings are used as a guide to show the coolers maximum cooling capacity.
*The coolers actual efficiency will depend on proper placement and installation of the cooler.
*Mounting the cooler in front of the radiator and AC condensor gives the most efficient cooling capacity.
*Proper installation is in the fan's air flow, which allows for cooling even in Stop & Go traffic.
*Mounting a cooler behind a bumper will give very little cooling.
*Install the cooler in series with factory radiator first, then the auxillary cooler for maximum capacity. This also allows for faster winter warm up.
*If you bypass the radiator, be sure to increase the size cooler you install by 1 to 2 sizes

I have alwayz heard and read. Run the aux cooler in series with the radiator and run it thur the radiator first.

i hard piped my after the radiator.

Attachments

• 0630101743.jpg
    0630101743.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 522
Reactions: MidnightRambler
Oldstech,
those are some good points...

In particular,
*If you bypass the radiator, be sure to increase the size cooler you install by 1 to 2 sizes
my cooler is 11x11.75"... which is almost half the size of my rad, will this be more than sufficient enough?

Also, I have learned not to always trust "manufacture recommendations", as they often have to speak in generalization. Note this point specifically,
*Mounting a cooler behind a bumper will give very little cooling.
It is commonly known that G-bodies actually recieve quite good airflow right behind the bumper, due to their tall nose.

Anyways, I've got some spare time this weekend, so I'm going to
but since u got a guage why dont u check it out while running it through ur internal and external cooler. then just the external alone. then u can tell us which does better with ur setup.

Also, does anyone think my 11x11.75" cooler is overkill? Should I exchange it for a smaller one and save some money?

Thanks,

mine runs from trans into rad out of rad to cooler then back to the trans and my trans runs at 140 always while engine runs inbetween 170 and 180 depending how hard i am on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor