CUTLASS Trans for full LSA swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My built 4L65E couldn't handle my 5.3 with a small cam, headers and performance exhaust. As said, don't waste your time and money on a 60/6570E. It can be done, but why when you can run an 80/85E?

Reactions: 1 user

JustBoostin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2017
Duluth, Minnesota
Will you be using an aftermarket ECU or the factory LSA ECU? Depending on the year you could use a 6L80e with the factory ECU.

Otherwise you have one choice. 4L80e.
Ecu has not been determined, current one is a standalone for marine or industrial use. Got a deal on the motor, had to move fast and haven’t had time yet to make too many decisions

JustBoostin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2017
Duluth, Minnesota
Answer Mike's question in previous post. If unknown, then say unknown.

Yes, a Terminator X Max will run both the motor and trans - I have one in my car, but I have DBC where I would assume you have DBW. You need to order the appropriate kit for your injectors and TB. I do assume that you will be running different injectors if you're aiming at 18psi.

I was only trying to point out that for something other than a car that will see hour+ long drives that a TH400 will work just fine. I.e. if you run a 27" tire and run a 3.08 or 3.23 gear, then the TH400 will work just fine. Remeber that you don't need 3.73 or 4.10 gears to turn a tire into smoke with an LSA - no spool up time required.

The 4L80 is a great choice though, but just more expensive for converter, substantially more for a converter.
Haven’t had time to research the injectors but assumed I would need to go larger. Would be great to find an option that could also run E.

very, very early into this project. Lots of R&D and decisions to still be made.

but yes, long trips will likely happen. Minneapolis is 2.5 hrs. Likely the shortest run

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Tons of people have had luck with SnakeEater injectors, but not me and I’d advise against. After that the next budget friendly unit is a Bosch 210 for about $700. From there up goes the price to near $1000-1200 for E85 compatible and enough volume to support your 18 psi goal.

I will commend you on starting for E85 with that boost level. The stuff is super forgiving and doesn’t care about heat.

Keep us posted!

JustBoostin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2017
Duluth, Minnesota
Tons of people have had luck with SnakeEater injectors, but not me and I’d advise against. After that the next budget friendly unit is a Bosch 210 for about $700. From there up goes the price to near $1000-1200 for E85 compatible and enough volume to support your 18 psi goal.

I will commend you on starting for E85 with that boost level. The stuff is super forgiving and doesn’t care about heat.

Keep us posted!
Oh I am no stranger to E. Love the stuff in my talon. Miracle fuel but finding gas stations that sell it while on a road trip can make the trip less pleasurable.
My talon runs a stroked 2.4 with a 3586 turbo. Average boost levels were 27 psi but saw enough air flow at 30 psi for ~600 hp and then the mass air flow sensor was maxed. (And also the transmission. Eats those for breakfast so I am kinda done playing that game)

Attachments

• 2472755E-B5AD-449A-B66C-F73C928F222B.jpeg
    2472755E-B5AD-449A-B66C-F73C928F222B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 112
  • B575A5C9-8740-4F96-8A4C-C0DDBF702FDD.jpeg
    B575A5C9-8740-4F96-8A4C-C0DDBF702FDD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 107
Reactions: 1 users

JustBoostin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2017
Duluth, Minnesota
I should also note, the Dsmlink tuning software will flash the check engine light for if the knock sensor sees knock. (Adjustable setting). Any idea if terminator or anyone else has a similar option?

edit: I should probably start a build thread but this project might not fully take off for some time. Life is very busy at the moment

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I should also note, the Dsmlink tuning software will flash the check engine light for if the knock sensor sees knock. (Adjustable setting). Any idea if terminator or anyone else has a similar option?

edit: I should probably start a build thread but this project might not fully take off for some time. Life is very busy at the moment
Terminator can target boost and timing from ethanol content. You can do knock stuff but by the time you hear any you have a bent rod. Ask me how I know. 😆

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Terminator monitors knock very well. The issue is that the knock sensor is not tuneable, or I should say the terminator will not allow for tuning of the knock sensor. The factory knock sensor are tuned for a stock motor, so if you do much of anything to the motor other than run it in stock form, the knock sensor is somewhat useless. This includes cam, solid motor mounts, spinning it 7500rpms, etc.

And Northernregal is spot on, by the time your sensor registers knock it's too late. I've used tunable knock sensors and they're pretty neat, but roller rockers, big cams and lots of rpm's are demanding on those as well.

If you want to monitor something worthwhile, then monitor coolant system pressure. I'm yet to do it, but it seems to be that prior to lifting a head coolant system pressure rise is noticeable and tunable.

Regarding the Terminator, be advised it has only 4 inputs and 4 outputs available. This is fine for many builds, but I'm currently down to one open input and all of my outs are used up. And this is after having to repurpose the fan output - I put the fan on a thermal switch.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I helped my brother on his LSA build. He pulled out a 5.3 from his Avalanche and is using the factory harness and ECM for the LSA. We installed an Ethanol sensor and the factory ECM runs it no problem. He just installed the smallest pulley available for more boost. It should be a beast this summer at Silver lake sand dunes.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor