Trans install and car won’t move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Finally was able to drive it yesterday. Went thru the garage today, nice big puddle of atf under the car. Guess I’m going back under there to see what’s what. Man this is driving me insane

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Transmission lines
O-ring on dipstick
Governor cover
Pan gasket
Pump seal
Tail shaft seal
Vacuum modulator O-ring
Things to check

Reactions: 2 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Did you make sure the converter was all the way back and fully engaged? Did you check to make sure you have the proper converter to flex plate clearance?
You should have to pull the converter forward to the flex plate. I have seen guys damage the pump by not having the converter engaging the 2 pump tangs and running the trans bolts all the way in jamming the converter. It should NEVER be pressed up against the flex plate.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Did you make sure the converter was all the way back and fully engaged? Did you check to make sure you have the proper converter to flex plate clearance?
You should have to pull the converter forward to the flex plate. I have seen guys damage the pump by not having the converter engaging the 2 pump tangs and running the trans bolts all the way in jamming the converter. It should NEVER be pressed up against the flex plate.
Definately engages both pump tangs. Couldn’t get my fingers between converter and trans. Not sure what you mean by not being against the Flexplate? When I tightened the bolts it sucked it up against the Flexplate.

pump seal
Dipstick o ring
Tail shaft
Pan gasket
All have been replaced before I put it in.

Haven’t had a chance to get under there yet but the puddle is growing it seems.

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Definately engages both pump tangs. Couldn’t get my fingers between converter and trans. Not sure what you mean by not being against the Flexplate? When I tightened the bolts it sucked it up against the Flexplate.

pump seal
Dipstick o ring
Tail shaft
Pan gasket
All have been replaced before I put it in.

Haven’t had a chance to get under there yet but the puddle is growing it seems.
You should be able to fit a 3/16" drill bit between the convertor pads where the bolts go in and the flex plate. You should be able to easily slide the converter forward against the flex plate. You should never use the bolts to draw them together if the convertor will not slide easily. Not be able to get a 3/16" bit between them means you don't have enough clearance. I see you are able to drive it now. The pump to case seal could be leaking. It could also be pushing it out of the vent on the top or from the selector shaft seal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I did have to move the converter forward by hand a little bit. I just meant that when I put the bolts in and tightened them it brought them together. It does drive perfectly fine and it wasn’t leaking when I parked it. When I got home from work there was a nice puddle under it. I assume the fluid drained back out of the converter over that period of time and found a leak to come out of. I’ll eventually win this battle.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I did have to move the converter forward by hand a little bit. I just meant that when I put the bolts in and tightened them it brought them together. It does drive perfectly fine and it wasn’t leaking when I parked it. When I got home from work there was a nice puddle under it. I assume the fluid drained back out of the converter over that period of time and found a leak to come out of. I’ll eventually win this battle.

do you have any friends who like to play games?......I will never admit to this but someone put some fresh oil under the engine of my buddy's car after he spent months rebuilding the 400.... :popcorn:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor