trans install...how high is high enough...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Im planning to install my trans tomorrow and I need to raise the car up off the floor a total of 25 inches to make room for the trans on the jack. My jack will get the car up but not high enough. I have considered using a block of wood on the jack, but it just doesnt sit well with me. Another idea was to somehow get the trans under the car and then put it on the jack once its under the tunnel, but not sure about that either. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Bill

Get 6 ton jack stands on all four corners. Jack it up all the way a little at a time using blocks of wood if you have to.
Going up a few notches at a time, front to back, front to back you shouldn't have any problems.
That's how i did it a few years a go anyway.
I wish I was Smart and used my friends lift, but I woulda had to tow it.

Using a block of wood is fine to get it jacked up as long as you rest it on stands after.

Ive got good jack stands. Gonna try to borrow some bigger jacks from a friend who runs a tire shop. thanks death....lol

CHRIS.O said:
Using a block of wood is fine to get it jacked up as long as you rest it on stands after.
Just worried about the blocks kicking out....ive seen it happen before...wasnt pretty.... :puke:

i did this last weekend. jack up as high as you can on the front and the rear axle. then i took the tire off the lf set my jack on a 4x6 and used a chunk of 4x6 under the ball joint got it just high enough to get it under. believe me you are not going to get it on the jack while its under the car, we tried for like 3 hours before we finally resorted to the above method.

matthew_rhodes said:
i did this last weekend. jack up as high as you can on the front and the rear axle. then i took the tire off the lf set my jack on a 4x6 and used a chunk of 4x6 under the ball joint got it just high enough to get it under. believe me you are not going to get it on the jack while its under the car, we tried for like 3 hours before we finally resorted to the above method.
so your saying that just jacking up one corner with the wood blocks will get it high enough? sounds a bit dangerous to me...but worth a shot I guess. Thanks

Guess Ive been lucky jacking up cars, never had a problem using a large wood block to lift a vehicle. You might just have to get a friend to lay under the car with ya and lift the trans up in there, yes this sucks but I've been forced to do this a couple times.

Please don't even think about getting under the car until it is properly supported on jackstands.
A mechanic at a shop I once worked in did just that, using an almost new quality brand jack when it blew a seal.
Now he has to walk with a stick, lucky to be around to walk at all.
Workshop rules #s 1 through 10 - safety first!.
Roger.

That would sucks. I have to say I always get nervous under a car. I recently put an engine into a pick up truck. Had all 4 corners on heavy duty jack stands and it still made me very nervous. I cannot wait to have my own garage. When that day comes hoist will be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor