transmission choice help

Status
Not open for further replies.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
My friend has a th350 in his 86 regal wants to change to a th400. The th350 is toast and needs to be rebuilt anyway. Any reason to change to a th400 or just build the th350. Is is going to be bolted up to a 383 with a 172 blower. It will be a around town car maybe see the track once a year.

If to change what is a good crossmember and would he have to buy a new driveshaft.

Thanks for any help

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I would think the th350 built up right shouldn't have any issues and require less HP to turn... But a TH400 built up right would be somewhat the same at a cost of a few more ponies to turn it... I was under the impression that a TH400 built up right would be bulletproof. If he plans on racing it every once in a while i would build it up as strong as possible to avoid having to spend $$ twice... Now if it was me i would "build" up a 2004R and enjoy cruising rpm's, if he has a th350 he could reuse the drive shaft and get a 2004R cross member and it would bolt in in OK... :lol:

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
I would also get the 200r4 but he doesn't (probably a cost thing) not to worried drive train loss. Spent most of his money rebuilding his engine. Spun some bearings. The engine should be ready in a few weeks just trying to figure some stuff out for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor