transmission cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightluss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2010
so im wondering if i should use an external transmission cooler with my build? i have a built 383 stroker, and behind it, a brand new freddy brown built th350. now, the instrictions with the transmission say an external cooler is recomended. i have a brand new griffin aluminum radiator with an internal cooler. should this cooler be fine for the transmission? correct me if im wrong, but isnt what cools the fluid as it passes through, is the water in the radiator? is it actually better to run it through the radiator's cooler?

i found this cooler, but im still weary of using an external one:
http://longisland.craigslist.org/pts/1717368363.html

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Run them both, if you have a higher stall convertor it will produce extra heat, so you should run an external cooler along with using the cooler in the radiator.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Use both the internal cooler as well as an aftermarket cooler...The money you have invested in a transmission shouldn't be compromosed. The transmission cooler is CHEAP insurance...I bought one of the biggest RV transmission coolers from Napa or Advanced Auto for like $40.00 or so...

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Thanks for that info... I'm in the same situation and was wondering the same thing. Got a big block and new 4L80E transmission which is cooled with the internal transmission cooler in my aluminum radiator. So now I will make sure to add an aftermarket cooler onto it... gonna use one with a fan attached. :mrgreen:

Lightluss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2010
i just got mine in the mail. i got the jegs brand external blade style cooler the bigger one for about $85 bucks. jegs also has a kit for that cooler and my TH350 15' of steel braided line and all fittings for $110. pretty good deal if you ask me, just got it in the mail and ill be installing it next week. so im all in under $200 for cooling a brand new bulletproof transmission, ill let you guys know how it goes.

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
cooler is a good investment. i use one on all my projects. personally i dont like the internal cooler just cuz i had a bad experience and had it rupture. ended up with coolant in the trans and trans fluid in the cooling system.

Bender21

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
I just picked up Summit's smallest transmission cooler, rated at 17000 GVW, has some definite bling to it. Hopefully it will still be enough with no internal cooler.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I recommend running the aftermarket cooler before the rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor