Transmission Crossmember

Status
Not open for further replies.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
well the old man who is doing our exhaust i believe he said was doing one of those he has done tons of these cars in the past so i am pretty excited for next week

A

Anonymous

Jegster dual hump crossmember

I have a Jegs crossmember on my 83 malibu with a T350. The right side hump is so close to the trans I had to make an s-pipe to go under the crossmember. I don't know why its that way because the stock crossmember had more then enough room for the pipes on that side. The right hump is just large enough for a 2.5 or 3 inch pipe but it could be much larger because theres all kinds of room above the crossmember. I wish I would have sent it back & got something else or reworked my stock crossmember.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
i build my own trans crossmember for my dual exhaust out of 2x3 steel tubing for my 3"pipes lookes somthing like the one you have real nice

Pounder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2007
Ontario
I purchased a G-force crossmember. Can be found at crossmembers.com. They have all types for chevy transmissions and G-body style. Looks something like the picture above except the cutouts for the exhaust are rectangle shaped. Fit perfect on my 87 Cutlass and 350 turbo transmission. Have 2.5" exhaust with cats and mufflers from the headers back. Lots of clearance.

Pounder

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
......that is the crossmember IN my car...... :D

jonessmc87

Apprentice
Oct 25, 2007
Old Saybrook, CT
i kno this thread is a lil old,,but i just joined so im cruising through the site. I have a 87 MCSS with a 2004r and a g force crossmember. It really helped stiffen the car up. If you have a th350, which is shorter, dynomax makes pipes to go under the stock crossmember. Its wat my dad has on his 85 el camino. I had those same pipes on my monte but they dont fit as nice with the 2004r crossmember.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I purchased a G-force crossmember from g-force.com and it is awesome!!
1/4 inch thick steel tubing custom fit for g bodies and plenty of clearance!

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Okay, I'm gonna buck the trend and go off on a tangent.

I run single exhaust. All of the dyno tests show that a single 3" can flow just as well and make about the same power as dual 2 1/2".

The trick is building your y-pipe with a flowmaster "Y" 2 into 1 and then to use a good muffler out back. I like the crossflow style (like my 80s Firebirds) with two 2 1/2" tailpipes.

I don't have to change my crossmember and I don't seem to lose any performance.

It's just my angle; I'm not flaming anyone who loves duals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor